high ammonia help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All that I changed was I added some live plants all the decor has remained the same, I'm not sure if a fish has gone missing I have 2 kuhli loaches and I only ever seem to see 1 at a time but because they look exactly the same I can't tell if they are both ok, what should I do? Should I remove all my decor and check?

Sent from my Desire HD using Aquarium

dave2010 said:
All that I changed was I added some live plants all the decor has remained the same, I'm not sure if a fish has gone missing I have 2 kuhli loaches and I only ever seem to see 1 at a time but because they look exactly the same I can't tell if they are both ok, what should I do? Should I remove all my decor and check?

Something you'll need to decide, but if one seems to be missing it certainly could be the cause.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

Ok I need urgent help now! I removed every decoration from my tank and I could only find 1 loach! I know I'm not supposed to vacume the gravel too much but I had to do the whole tank to see if I could find the other loach but it was no where! What am I going to do? It must be dead in there somewhere but it isn't visible at all! Would my royal pleco eat the loach! Or could have the other loach killed it and ate it? I've done a really big water change today because of everything being moved, I will get a ammonia test done in a few hours to see if anything has changed

dave2010 said:
Ok I need urgent help now! I removed every decoration from my tank and I could only find 1 loach! I know I'm not supposed to vacume the gravel too much but I had to do the whole tank to see if I could find the other loach but it was no where! What am I going to do? It must be dead in there somewhere but it isn't visible at all! Would my royal pleco eat the loach! Or could have the other loach killed it and ate it? I've done a really big water change today because of everything being moved, I will get a ammonia test done in a few hours to see if anything has changed

Could be anywhere, IMHO I think you found where the ammo spike is coming from, but since you're still getting the high ammo there must be some left and still decaying. Yes other fish will eat dead ones (see at petco all the time).

If you have a bucket of PWC around, wash the decco in it in case there's pieces left.

Keep us posted.

If it was dead and decomposed then hopefully I vacumed what was left if it up, I couldnt see it but I may have missed it because there was a lot of crap being vacumed up! I'm hoping that the loach isn't dead and stuck in my filter tube because if it is I need to empty the whole tank to get the tube off! I'll post my ammonia results later

dave2010 said:
If it was dead and decomposed then hopefully I vacumed what was left if it up, I couldnt see it but I may have missed it because there was a lot of crap being vacumed up! I'm hoping that the loach isn't dead and stuck in my filter tube because if it is I need to empty the whole tank to get the tube off! I'll post my ammonia results later

You very well could have. When my beta passed, it turned to mush in less than 12 hrs.

If it were me, I'd pull the filter and look for remains and clear them out, but I wouldn't wash anything in order to keep the cycle going. Keep what you can in tank water so bacteria doesn't die. Tap water will kill bacteria.

Ok I cleaned the filter and there was nothing, I have a fluval tank so the tubes go under the tank, the only place I haven't been able to check is in the tubes because I would need to empty my tank to remove them and I have done then up so tight I couldn't even loosen them slightly! Lol its my first tank and I didn't want it to leak! Lol there's great news tho the ammonia has gone down to 0.3 so if I now keep doing water changes of about 25% every day hopefully it will get down to 0 soon

dave2010 said:
Ok I cleaned the filter and there was nothing, I have a fluval tank so the tubes go under the tank, the only place I haven't been able to check is in the tubes because I would need to empty my tank to remove them and I have done then up so tight I couldn't even loosen them slightly! Lol its my first tank and I didn't want it to leak! Lol there's great news tho the ammonia has gone down to 0.3 so if I now keep doing water changes of about 25% every day hopefully it will get down to 0 soon

I think you're close too.

Good job!

Back
Top Bottom