High ammonia, loow pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConanTheLibraia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got way high ammonia and super low pH...... I put some ammonia filter pads in addition to the normal media, am feeding my fish very little, and am using pH increase. Should I do a water change, or does everything need to cycle itself to the proper levels? I suspect that ammonia and pH are closely affected by each other, so was it the ammonia spike which was probably caused by overfeeding that caused the pH decrease? Thanks for your feedback.

Also, I used some chicken wire type thing in part of my aquarium because i don't want fish swimming over into my unused corner filter box, since i normally fill up my tank higher than the box because i don't use the filter box anyways. I don't know if you guys know what I'm talking about but is filling the tank up to the hood and having chicken wire in contact with the water bad in anyways? or am i being finicky?

I would start changing water to lower ammonia and to raise the PH. Do not use the chemicals they cause more problems than they are worth. The ammonia pads will lengthen the length of your cycle. You best bet is to change water and get your Ammonia under .5. What is the PH of your tap water?

If the chicken wire is steel and it rusts it is not a good idea.

I agree with Rich. Crushed coral will do the job. A small baggie in the filter or even putting it ontop of the susbtrate will help increase the hardness and pH, thus giving your water a better buffering ability.

Well, the ammonia and the pH can be related, since nitrification is impaired significantly by a pH under 6.5. I presume you have checked the tap pH after it has sat out overnight, co2 equilibration with the atmosphere can change the pH, especially in water with low KH. Otherwise, to raise the pH and have a more stable pH, crushed coral in the substrate or in a compartment in the filter would work.

high ammonia may be causing the low pH.. is there ammonia in your tapwater?

As suggested a bit of crushed coral can help naturally raise the pH but please stop using the chemcials. You will be stuck in a vicous cycle if you continue to use the pH increase and the ammonia pads. Frequent water changes will help your ammonia to go down as the bacteria increases to feed on it.

At the stated pH you don't have ammonia, but rather ammonium, which is non toxic. Changing the pH in the tank to above 7 will cause it to become ammonia, which, of course, is toxic. Water changes using high pH water to a tank with an acidic pH have caused quick deaths. This is not caused by "pH shock", which may be a myth, but rather by the pH being raised above 7 and the existing ammonium being converted to ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom