High ammonia question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Candi1990

Aquarium Advice Freak
What if your doing water changes to bring ammonia down, but your tap water has ammonia?

What if your doing water changes to bring ammonia down, but your tap water has ammonia?

You've got a few options. First I would test the tap water multiple times to confirm your findings.

Second, you could use/buy water filtered by reverse osmosis or deionized water. Some lfs provide it for free, some natural food markets sell it for ~.50$ a gallon, and there is always the grocery store. In my area RO water by the gallon is $0.87 each. If you use RO/DI water, you need to remineralize it.

You could also purchase a filtration system for your tap. RO/DI systems are more expensive than buying water to start with, but pay for themselves down the road. Once again, you would need to remineralize the filtered water for your tank.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but that's what I have off the top of my head.

You've got a few options. First I would test the tap water multiple times to confirm your findings.

Second, you could use/buy water filtered by reverse osmosis or deionized water. Some lfs provide it for free, some natural food markets sell it for ~.50$ a gallon, and there is always the grocery store. In my area RO water by the gallon is $0.87 each. If you use RO/DI water, you need to remineralize it.

You could also purchase a filtration system for your tap. RO/DI systems are more expensive than buying water to start with, but pay for themselves down the road. Once again, you would need to remineralize the filtered water for your tank.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but that's what I have off the top of my head.

Thanks! I ended up buying water, but cant keep doing that. I have 4 tanks 165 gal, 50%water change is too much water to lug around. I never tested until now (been about 3 years). It never bothered the fish before i guess i should leave it alone.

How much ammonia are you talking about? If your tanks are fully cycled they should be processing out the ammonia within 24 hrs so it shouldn't be an issue. On a mature tank the weekly water changes are more about nitrates typically.

I think my problem was when i did a 50% water change and a filter change. Thats when i noticed the sick fish... (In one tank) so i checked all tanks and they were all high.

Today i did 50% water again (in one tank). Nitrates are high in them all! Even the ones i changed the water in last week nitrates are topped out. Ammonia 5.0.

What is your tap testing out at? I am not trying to harp on this but are you adding a water conditioner to your tanks when you change the water? Also have you tested the tap if so what are the numbers?
Ammo-
Nitrite-
Nitrate-
pH-

Back
Top Bottom