High iron levels in water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smidget

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A friend of mine is building a house and has decided to build an aquarium into one of the walls complete with a drain and tap for water changes.

The water comes from a well and is quite high in iron (makes the toilet bowl orange). Are high iron levels harmful to the fish, or is this maybe just an asthetics thing?

Thanks

If the iron levels are high enough it will kill fish. I was in a trout hatchery at a college that had to contend with high iron and they just ran the new wayer over a pail of steel nails to rmove the iron. It appears that manganese greensand may have this ability also.

Agreed. Metals can be highly toxic to fish. If the iron content is enough to turn the toilet orange, the water should be treated before being used in the aquarium.

I wasn't aware of this until I visited this site, http://www.redflint.com/index.htm that managanese greensand is used to filter iron and other noxious substances. This is a good site for sourcing attractive aquarium gravels and sands, but they may have info on the iron problem.

Back
Top Bottom