High nitrate levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daniel1987

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I have high nitrate levels in my 260l malawi tank any ideas on how many water changes in a week to do safely and how much to drop these levels

daniel1987 said:
Hi I have high nitrate levels in my 260l malawi tank any ideas on how many water changes in a week to do safely and how much to drop these levels

I had a brief period where my nitrates were high... First reading was 160!
I did back to back 50-75% PWC/day...
After about a week or so they were under control at a normal level... Wasn't a fun week, but I kept picturing every bucket of water making my fish healthier and it made it okay..
So, generally did 2 a day... If you can't do back to back.. One morning, one night...

daniel1987 said:

You can do 2 a day. You need them <10.

phoenixkiller said:
2 a day is the best. DO NOT do 2 right after the other, too stressful. Good luck!

My levels were crazy high at 160 and I had to do 2 back to back PWC's to even begin to see lowering of levels... It took a week of back to back PWC to get tanks even close to safe zone.. As long as fish aren't too stressed then it's okay... If they're stressed, then do 2 separate changes a day.. Morning, night...it's so much work, but worth it in long run with normal levels and healthy fish..

Thanks everyone will start tonight and yes going to be hard doing 12hr days at work but needs to be done I have fry in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom