High nitrAte levels in tap water!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liam1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have just set up a new 60l tank, it's recently finished it's cycle after 5 and half weeks, so I done a big water change like 90% to get the nitrate levels down, but I tested it after a few hours with the API liquid master test, and the nitrAte levels were still really high, I'm talking blood red, so 80-100ppm, so I decided to test the tap water to see if there are any NitrAtes in there, and that came back about the same colour red on the test kit as the tank was! So there is about 80-100ppm nitrAtes in the tap water?! Surely this cannot be right, if so what am I meant to do to keep the nitrAte levels down as doing water changes is not going to help at all as it's just going to be putting nitrates back into the tank!?
Any help is grateful, thanks, Liam.

You should probably contact the water company or your local news because 80-100ppm nitrate in tap water is ridiculously illegal... prettymuch everywhere I think.

Seriously, that's not even safe.

Last edited:
Ok thanks, I didn't think It was allowed to be that high, But I've done test after test on the tap water just to make sure and it comes back the same, so high everytime!

Last edited:
I'm not sure, how would I find that out?
Well water is pumped in from the ground. It is accompanied by a drain field. Well water is usually found out in the country.

City water comes from those big water towers.

Back
Top Bottom