High Nitrate problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis32

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am having a problem with my aquarium levels being exceptionally high in nitrates. My ammonia levels are always at zero, my nitrate levels are always zero, but my nitrate levels are always at the very top of the scale using the API fresh water test kit. I just tested it and it showed roughly around 84 a nitrate level, & I just did probably 40 to 50% water change 2 days ago. This has been ongoing since I pretty much got the tank many months ago, and fortunately have only lost a couple little zebra danios. Is there any way to help get those nitrate levels down specifically for any length of time? My tank is definitely under stocked and is a 75 gallon tank. Everything in my tank is artificial. Please advise, thanks

Sent from my SM-G360P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have you checked your water source?

Are you using strips or liquid test kit to test?

Agree with the above, test your source water. If nitrates are high then there's your problem.
You say everything in your tank is artificial, maybe you would be better introducing some live plants especially those that either float or draw nutrients from the water rather than the substrate. Mosses and Java fern is a possibility or a floating plant that trails its roots in the water (can't recommend any as I don't use them but I understand that some are very heavy nitrate feeders).

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

Sorry, forgot to mention that I am using liquid test kit. Also when testing my water it shows 0 ammonia, but it does show a high nitrite level, at around 1 ppm, and my nitrate level in my tap water is around 10-20 ppm. so I know that's a problem because my tank is converting it into nitrates and I'm never able to catch up. However, there is nothing I can do about that as I don't have a secondary water source anywhere. So looking for recommendations on something that lowers the nitrate level whether that would be some kind of chemical, which I doubt, or if it's very low maintenance a live plant that specifically is good for eating nitrates.

Maybe you could use big bottle bulk water as a water source for your tank.

That should just be clean water with no chlorine, and minerals on target with needs anyway.

Or plants like somebody else mentioned. Or maybe a distiller and artificial hardness. Not sure if a home filter system would take out the nitrites or not.

Is this well water I assume?

I have tap water with 20ppm nitrate, too. I put in massive amounts of low-light plants, and they thrived even though I had gravel in there. I've since switched to a black sand mix. Getting lots of plants was the only solution i found.

Sent via an unladen European Swallow

I have battled high nitrates in my first tank for almost 5 years. It is heavily planted and lightly stocked. Nothing really keeps it down. I have three other tanks that the nitrates stay very low in so I know the water is not the problem. i gave up and got some Purigen. It absorbs nitrates and can be rechaged and reused. Seems to be working. If you want to keep your current artificial decor I would suggest getting some floating plants. Maybe hornwort, water lettuce, or red root floaters. I would stay away from duckweed because it is a pain.

If you're able to get you're hands on some Reverse Osmosis water a lot of workplaces have it mine sure does. But if not best recommendation is to make it planted super easy and will absorb a lot more nitrates. Good news is nitrates are least harmful of the bunch

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey everyone, in an update, I bought nitra-zorb on amazon. In just a few days my nitrate levels have gone from a consistent 80 down to a consistent 10-20 (colors are so close it is hard to tell)

Back
Top Bottom