High Nitrates.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess1ca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Showing high Nitrates in 3 of 4 tanks :( been performing wc about every 3 days... Can't get em down... What's the deal? Tested tap and comes back 0 trates?!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120506_190104.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120506_190104.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 109
How large are your water changes? Chances are your nitrate are higher than the chart will read and you probably need to do daily pwc's of at least 50% until you get them down to a readable level.

You might have highly stocked tanks that are producing lots of waist and although your beneficial bacteria are consuming the ammonia and nitrite you wind up with an overabundance of nitrates. This can lead to stress and disease if not handled promptly.

If this continues to be a problem you can consider adding some fast growing nitrate sucking plants like hornwart, elodia, or wisteria. Hope this helps.

ashleynicole said:
How large are your water changes? Chances are your nitrate are higher than the chart will read and you probably need to do daily pwc's of at least 50% until you get them down to a readable level.

You might have highly stocked tanks that are producing lots of waist and although your beneficial bacteria are consuming the ammonia and nitrite you wind up with an overabundance of nitrates. This can lead to stress and disease if not handled promptly.

If this continues to be a problem you can consider adding some fast growing nitrate sucking plants like hornwart, elodia, or wisteria. Hope this helps.

1 overstocked African tank, 55, tried plants, won't work in there! 10g has 1 guppy, 2 mystery snails, lots of shrimp and is a JUNGLE of Subwassertang, Anubias, Java Moss and Hornwort I think it is... The 5g has a small group of guppy fry that showed up unannounced lol! Might look into nitrate reducing media for the African tank. I can do daily wc's totally not an issue since I kinda LOVE doing them lol. Guess I will start there and see what happens...

I wouldn't rely on NitrAte reducing anything. You have 2 AC 110's and sand. Your media is fine. You also have a power head running in your 55g. I would try and find out what's causing your high NitrAtes also what are your readings?

Also maybe your over feeding in your tanks?

Maybe smaller more frequent water changes. I've battled high NitrAtes and water changes did the trick. NitrAte removing products will only mask your problem and not solve it IMO get a handle on what is causing these issues in your tanks. And since it's 3 outta 4 have you ruled out tap water? You have well of I remember correctly have you tested it? Honestly I'm a form believer in finding the solution to the problem instead of a band aid.

That's just me, so you can take my 2 cents or return it. Just some food for thought...

Also maybe vacuuming your sand every other day maybe stirring up some debris which is causing these spikes? I'm just thinking out loud.

There is nothing unnatural about a algae turf scrubber . It is a very good natural filtration method. I do agree though if your nitrates are really out of control something is probably off .

Hondatek said:
There is nothing unnatural about a algae turf scrubber . It is a very good natural filtration method. I do agree though if your nitrates are really out of control something is probably off .

Wasn't directing it towards your post. I just think if she's having this issue with 3 outta 4 tanks something is wrong. Maybe try another test kit even... But something is going on.

I didn't think so i just wanted to make sure the op or anyone who happened to read it are aware. No worries

Hondatek said:
I didn't think so i just wanted to make sure the op or anyone who happened to read it are aware. No worries

Ahhh... I got ya. Any event I think she the OP needs to look further into her nitrAte issue. If it was 1 tank that's one thing but 3 tanks outta 4 has me wondering ya know what I mean...

AndrewsPistol said:
I forgot to mention I'm a sand vac'ING machine haha, vacuum my sand every other day!

How deep are the sandbeds? Your just vacuuming the top not disturbing and stirring them up are you?

Hondatek said:
How deep are the sandbeds? Your just vacuuming the top not disturbing and stirring them up are you?

If I remember from her pics it's a pretty deep sand bed. I think every other day is a lot. And she use to do water changes everyday, we had to convince her it was not needed.

I tried to tell her that sometimes less is more...

To test to see if the nitrates are off the chart take half tank water and half tap water (or any water that you know has 0 nitrates) and test. If its still off the chart do 1/4 and 3/4. Still off the chart do 1/8 and 7/8 and so on. You can also take a sample to your LFS along with your test kit to compare the two.
Check the expiry dates in your tests and make sure you follow the directions exactly.

Wow! I missed a lot! Thanks for all the input ya'll ;) I'm gonna do a wc and clean the filters than test lime mumma suggested, ill post my results

AndrewsPistol said:
Wow! I missed a lot! Thanks for all the input ya'll ;) I'm gonna do a wc and clean the filters than test lime mumma suggested, ill post my results

Yeah ya did... Don't "clean" your filters. Swish them around in old tank water. You have AC 110's so just lightly rinse them in a bucket of old tank water. If your running carbon toss it, I've learned through trial and error that it only lasts so long and eventually becomes a nitrAte den. Also what I'm concerned about is why your having this issue in all 3 tanks. There all different fish too right? Also do you still have the peacock in a separate tank and is that also one with high levels?

Enquiring mind wanna know!! :)

I'm so sorry to hijack but how exactly do you clean your filter media in tank water efficiently?? K do water changes with a python, I have tried just getting a large bowl of tank water, but the water gets so dirty so fast, it doesn't help much. Any ideas on a better way?
Sorry again to the OP

Convict2161 said:
Yeah ya did... Don't "clean" your filters. Swish them around in old tank water. You have AC 110's so just lightly rinse them in a bucket of old tank water. If your running carbon toss it, I've learned through trial and error that it only lasts so long and eventually becomes a nitrAte den. Also what I'm concerned about is why your having this issue in all 3 tanks. There all different fish too right? Also do you still have the peacock in a separate tank and is that also one with high levels?

Enquiring mind wanna know!! :)

That's how I was gonna do it ;) the 55 mixed is high, the 10g is high with shrimp, snails and guppy, the 5 is high with guppy fry. The 29g Peacocks is the only one normal.... Just a thought... All the filters are still packed with AngelsPlus active media... Should I keep it or toss it?

paytertot said:
I'm so sorry to hijack but how exactly do you clean your filter media in tank water efficiently?? K do water changes with a python, I have tried just getting a large bowl of tank water, but the water gets so dirty so fast, it doesn't help much. Any ideas on a better way?
Sorry again to the OP

I use the same, a python. What I do is empty tank water from the hoses going to my canister into 5 gallon buckets. I then just swish around the media or sponge in the buckets. Yes it gets dirty but your still getting all the "gunk" off the media or sponge. Then I just put everything back in its place. You don't wanna wash anything in tap water. 1 because it's untreated and 2 your gonna wash all the BB away. Trust me. It's getting clean...

Back
Top Bottom