High Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saber71

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a six gallon tank with three tetras and one silver moon. I've had the acquarium for just over a month now and have been dealing with incredibly high Nitrate levels, from 40 to 80. I can't seem to get them down. I do a 20 percent water change every week and just did a 50 percent change two days ago. I tested today and it's at 80 ppm. I added a plant this week hoping to make a difference, but nothing yet. I am in definite need of some help here. I turn the light on during the day (about eight hours) and then off for the rest of the time. I am considering leaving the light on to increase algae growth. Any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Shane

Welcome to AA!! First, start by testing your tap water for nitrate. Quite a few people have nitrate in their tap water. Assuming theres low or no nitrate in your tap, you simply need to increase your water changes. I would start with 50% daily until you are able to bring your nitrates under control then monitor your tank conditions closely and do 50% wcs once a week or anytime you start to see the levels rise. Also make sure you are only feeding what your fish can eat in a minute or less and there is no leftover food in the tank. Reducing feeding to every other day until the nitrate situation is under control will help as well. :)

Hi JLK, just tested my tap water and it's at about 15 ppm. That sucks. I guess I'll just have to start filtering my water before I do my changes. Thanks for advice.

15ppm in your tap is not horrible. It just means your going to have to work a bit harder to keep your nitrate levels in check than someone with zero nitrates. I have around 10ppm in my tap as do many others- it just means more frequent and bigger water changes. Fast growing plants are a big help too.The other alternative is considering either some type filtration media to reduce nitrates or an alternative/filtered water source.

In such a small tank you could cut your tap water with RO water, a 50 tap to 50 RO mix, to reduce your WC water to a nitrate level of 7ppm's which is much better. Or if you want you could do 25% tap to 75% RO to get WC water to only 3.5ppm of nitrates. I do this in my nano tanks.

Back
Top Bottom