High nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sam237

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I have a 5 gallon freshwater started 4 weeks ago. Had 3 guppies but they died. The most recent a few days ago. I treated for ick a few times and did a 50% water change day after last fish died. Im now doing a fishless cycle, first time. I got a testing kit and the nitrites are super high. There is a lot of info out there so im not sure what to do. Just let the tank ride it out or add something? We'd like to put fish in there soon but want it to be safe. Also dont really want to wait 2 months. Suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Starting Out

Hi. I have a 5 gallon freshwater started 4 weeks ago. Had 3 guppies but they died. The most recent a few days ago. I treated for ick a few times and did a 50% water change day after last fish died. Im now doing a fishless cycle, first time. I got a testing kit and the nitrites are super high. There is a lot of info out there so im not sure what to do. Just let the tank ride it out or add something? We'd like to put fish in there soon but want it to be safe. Also dont really want to wait 2 months. Suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Hello Sam...

I can tell you that keeping the water in such a small tank livable for fish is going to be a challenge. Once established, the tank won't support more than a very few small fish and you'll have to remove and replace half the water at least a couple of times a week. A larger tank, say 30 gallons would give you a much better chance of success. Save the small tank for the future, when you have more experience.

B

Hello Sam. My idea is you should do a 100% water change and add some beneficial bacteria (ex - seachem stability) then wait for a week and you'll be good to add fish. Also consider Bradbury's advice, it's such a great advice for a beginner.

Small tanks are extremely hard to keep the water in check. BBardbury has good advice. But if you need to keep the small tank some ideas use. Some floating plants will help with water conditions. Buy bio seed. Before using it clean the tank and with fresh conditioned water no chlorine. Fill tank with conditioned water I keep my water at 78f. Put in seed. That will get the cycle started. Than you can add a couple of fish. Remember small fish do not eat alot. Less than a pinch. That will keep the water condition in ok condition. Algea will be another problem. Too much light. A 5 gal tank when starting out is a hobby killer. The larger the tank the easier it is to keep.

I'd use the small tank for baby fry guppies are really good at breading aleast once a month, I'd get a 30-50 gallon tank as a starter and transfer baby fry to the small one, I started out breeding guppies it got out of hand but my Oscar's enjoyed the live bait, great advice guys, have you seen my post I need some help please,

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom