High nitrAtes. Is planting the remedy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tap reading is 30-40 ppm. In my 5g, I have five endler's and one blue ramshorn snail. In my 30g I have 10 juvie rcs. Both have several plants but they are not helping reduce the nitrate level. It is coming out at 40-80 most times I test.

So, here's what I'm wondering: I've read that a "heavily planted" tank is one in which only 25% of substrate is showing. Mine is not there yet. But, if vacuuming the detritus out of the substrate is so important, how can one do that with so many plants? Am I to assume that the plants will, at some balance point, be nourished by the gucky poo and take care of it?

Further, I read the floating plants eat nitrates in the water column, while rooted (planted) ones don't as much. True? Too many floating plants will block light, though, as these sources also point out.

I can't afford an R/O unit. My daughter who lives three states away told me her Whole Foods Market sells RO water (fill it yourself) at 39 cents a gallon and that she thinks most stores sell that kind of water. I have not found it in my area. If any of you buy this water, where do you get it? Next, won't R/O remove minerals, too? Why isn't spring water okay?

I've also read that chemicals to lower nitrates aren't a good solution as they are temporary (not sure why) and their use can cause problems for plants. Has anyone had any luck with nitrate filters (not chemicals)?

One more thing (I read too much!) a few people say that Seachem Prime and Purigen lower nitrates. Anyone have the same experience?

If anyone can help, I would be most grateful!!!

Back
Top Bottom