High nitrates please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hammerboni

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have extremely high nitrate and nitrite levels in my 20 gallon Aqueon tank with an Aqueon quiet flow 20 filter. I do a 30% water change every week and still they are through the roof somewhere around 150 for nitrates and 5 for nitrites.

In the tank I have 5 neon tetras, 3 pearl danios, 3 new born baby Dalmatian mollies, 2 black mollies, 2 dwarf gouramis, and one of all of the following, rainbow shark, bala shark, Mickey Mouse platy, pleco, red velvet sword and an ornate rainbow. I vacuum the gravel every time I clean the tank. I have been feeding them tropical fish flakes and every 5 or 6 days I'll throw in a pellet of brine shrimp.

I meet my nitrate and nitrite levels to drop dramatically in a hurry please help

Basically you are so overstocked it will take daily water changes to keep your nitrAte levels down to a safe level.

Your rainbow shark will require around a 40G tank to prevent it becoming territorial/aggressive.

Your bala shark will require a 200G tank and an additional 4 or so to reduce nervousness.

Your pleco, on the likely fact it's a common, will require a 150G tank and driftwood for digestive help.

In addition the mollies have a high bioload for their size and really need a 29G tank.

So in short, rehome the mollies, rehome the sharks and the pleco.

Then start doing large water changes of around 50% every day for as often as needed to reduce nitrAtes to below 20.

I am over stocked I do realize that

Yes but do you realise you are so overstocked you will be unable to keep your nitrAtes down and in fact may be unable to ever get your nitrItes down as well.

I think your best bet would be to remove some of the fish and sell them or return them to the store. The key to an aquarium is balance and so many fish will constantly be causing you problems

I appreciate the help I am thinking about getting another tank so it the fish won't be so crowded.

You will probably never get those nitrates down until you get a much larger tank.

Back
Top Bottom