High Nitrates wont go down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
-"Do you swish your filter media in conditioned water on a regular basis?"
i was never told to do anything like that, you mean the actual carbon filter?

Yep, the filter media should be rinsed periodically- mine is a sponge, not the actual carbon filter. For those of us on city water, we clean our filters in old aquarium water after a water change; the water that is chlorine free and wont kill the good bacteria. Do you add chlorination to the well water? Either way, you can add dechlorinator to a bucket of water and swish your filter media in that. I think it would be a good idea to give it a good rinsing if it's never been cleaned.

This IS a mystery. Your other tank tests normal? Are both tanks the same age? Did you do a recent water change on the other tank also?

I am wondering if there could be additional bacteria in the well water combining with the bacteria in the tank and having a hay day on your filter media that's never been rinsed, producing high Nitrates.

If it were me, I would do a water change with something other than well water, just to get the Nitrates down from this dangerous level before it hurts your fish. I would try using a friends city water or store bought - verify it has the close to the same ph first. (I have used store bought drinking water before. Just the regular drinking water, not distilled.) And remember to use a good water conditioner/ dechlorinator. I know it's a pain, but I am worried about your fish. And that way you can rule out anything in the well water if the Nitrates spike again.

JLK and Blert, thank you very much for the info. i will be sure to clean them and will see where this goes.. As for the salt debate ill be sure to do my own research, not that any of you are wrong, ive read too many blogs that have said some pretty false things. i appreciate everybodys help with the problem :):thanks:

Yep, the filter media should be rinsed periodically- mine is a sponge, not the actual carbon filter. For those of us on city water, we clean our filters in old aquarium water after a water change; the water that is chlorine free and wont kill the good bacteria. Do you add chlorination to the well water? Either way, you can add dechlorinator to a bucket of water and swish your filter media in that. I think it would be a good idea to give it a good rinsing if it's never been cleaned.

This IS a mystery. Your other tank tests normal? Are both tanks the same age? Did you do a recent water change on the other tank also?

I am wondering if there could be additional bacteria in the well water combining with the bacteria in the tank and having a hay day on your filter media that's never been rinsed, producing high Nitrates.

If it were me, I would do a water change with something other than well water, just to get the Nitrates down from this dangerous level before it hurts your fish. I would try using a friends city water or store bought - verify it has the close to the same ph first. (I have used store bought drinking water before. Just the regular drinking water, not distilled.) And remember to use a good water conditioner/ dechlorinator. I know it's a pain, but I am worried about your fish. And that way you can rule out anything in the well water if the Nitrates spike again.

okay, now i understand what you meant.. ive never rinsed the carbon filter bc i was told not to due to the beneficial bacteria.. i changed the filter last week, but i clean the entire set up except the filter every month with hot water and a toothbrush.

Back
Top Bottom