High Nitrates wont go down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoraRocks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Update on my Oscar tank. Got my master test kit. My Ammonia was .25, my Nitrite was .25, my NitrAtes are above and beyond 160. I started 50% water changes daily since the readings. I have been doing 50% water changes everyday for 4 days now. My nitrites and ammonia went down but my nitrAtes are still the same. I left my carbon filters in, should I have taken them out?? I put new ones in today but am curious how long does it take to lower and any steps to get it down quicker??? My fish are swimming around and eating but am worried about the levels..

Oh, out of tap the NitrAtes are only 20. Nitrites and ammonia 0.

ALSO, My pet store had me convinced that every month I needed to add Start Zyme, is that what caused the levels to be so high???

Start Zyme is an supplemental source of beneficial bacteria and it will help the filter. I don't know why the employee said "every month." Those type of water changes should have def lowered the nitrates in your tank, so I'm kind of stumped on that one. NitrAtes are not attracted to the carbon and therefore are not removed by it. But that's what the water changes are for, so again, I really dont know. I'll keep thinking about it though. Hopefully someone else has an idea.

Tank size? Stocking? Feeding schedule?

Ok, 160ppm is the high limit of the nitrate test. Which means your nitrates may be 160 or they may be 1160- the test will still look the same. A 50% wc would still result in the test showing a reading of 160ppm. As you also have nitrates in your tap, I would suggest a couple of back to back big water changes to bring your nitrates under control and readable. Then monitor them daily to see how high they are jumping in a 24hr period. If they are doubling (or more) in 24hrs, then theres likely issues with tank size, stocking or feeding that need to be addressed.

Tank size? Stocking? Feeding schedule?

Ok, 160ppm is the high limit of the nitrate test. Which means your nitrates may be 160 or they may be 1160- the test will still look the same. A 50% wc would still result in the test showing a reading of 160ppm. As you also have nitrates in your tap, I would suggest a couple of back to back big water changes to bring your nitrates under control and readable. Then monitor them daily to see how high they are jumping in a 24hr period. If they are doubling (or more) in 24hrs, then theres likely issues with tank size, stocking or feeding that need to be addressed.

He's done 50% water changes for 4 days in a row. That's quite a turn over.

He's done 50% water changes for 4 days in a row. That's quite a turn over.

Not necessarily if the nitrates were extremely high to begin with. For theoretical purposes, lets use the example I posted above. If the nitrates were 1000+, a 50%wc with nitrates in the tap would still leave the nitrates over 500+ppm. Additional nitrates would be added to this in course of 24hrs. Even three 50%wcs in a row with this level of nitrates and nitrates in the tap would still leave them reading 160ppm (@130 to be more precise). If there are stocking or feeding issues and the nitrates are doubling overnight, even 50%wcs daily would not make much of a dent. Fish never stop producing ammonia so nitrate production never ceases either. My guess is either the nitrate level was extremely high to begin with and/or theres additional issues contributing here (ie, stocking, tank size, feeding practices) that we dont know yet.

i apologize for lack of info, still new to this forum. its 55 gallon, i have 2 juvenile oscars at 4-5 inches, a feeder fish whom they never ate which is about 2.5 inches now. we feed them twice a day morning and night smaller amounts (what they can eat in less than a minute) My problem with this tank has been my info source which is my local pet store, ive spent hours talking to them and after joining this forum learned they taught me nothing but how to use chemicals.. they said once the tank is established not to worry about Nitrites, ammonia, and NitrAtes. therefore ive never tested it. Ive learned more from this forum in one week then 8 months talking to them. ive always done 25% water changes every 2 weeks but not enough as ive learned. Im currently saving for a much bigger aquarium. I did not know that they needed more room until this week. im still doing 50% water changes everyday and have done double that in a day a few days this week. Tested this morning and still the same. everything else is good though. Ammonia, nitrite 0, pH 7.6. i try not to do more than 50% at a time bc they mope a good bit but twice a day has kept them up and moving.. i appreciate any advice!!

i apologize for lack of info, still new to this forum. its 55 gallon, i have 2 juvenile oscars at 4-5 inches, a feeder fish whom they never ate which is about 2.5 inches now. we feed them twice a day morning and night smaller amounts (what they can eat in less than a minute) My problem with this tank has been my info source which is my local pet store, ive spent hours talking to them and after joining this forum learned they taught me nothing but how to use chemicals.. they said once the tank is established not to worry about Nitrites, ammonia, and NitrAtes. therefore ive never tested it. Ive learned more from this forum in one week then 8 months talking to them. ive always done 25% water changes every 2 weeks but not enough as ive learned. Im currently saving for a much bigger aquarium. I did not know that they needed more room until this week. im still doing 50% water changes everyday and have done double that in a day a few days this week. Tested this morning and still the same. everything else is good though. Ammonia, nitrite 0, pH 7.6. i try not to do more than 50% at a time bc they mope a good bit but twice a day has kept them up and moving.. i appreciate any advice!!

Your learning quickly! Great job! :)

The only 'chemical' you need to add to your tank is good water conditioner. Just continue with frequent (daily or more often) testing and lots and lots of water changes as determined by your tests. Unfortunately, a 55g is too small for these guys. If your in the US, check out craigslist for some good used tank deals. I would also look into finding a happy pond home for the feeder (assuming its a goldfish)- if he has survived this long living with oscars, he deserves to live out the rest of his life in peace! Please ask if you have any questions!

I agree, you haven't mentioned adding conditioner and that'll help keep the fresh tap water in control. I've heard great reviews for Prime from Jungle but I've failed to finding that specific product in the local stores... :(

I agree, you haven't mentioned adding conditioner and that'll help keep the fresh tap water in control. I've heard great reviews for Prime from Jungle but I've failed to finding that specific product in the local stores... :(

Seachem Prime. Not from Jungle.

Thanks so much!! i regret learning about oscars tank size this late but i am on a hunt for a bigger home, as for my goldfish feeder i have tried to move him twice.. he did fine but the Oscars werent so happy :( they moped for over a week and wouldnt eat. Needless to say i put him back.. Theyve become attached and the oscars do not beat up on him so ive been back and forth on what to do with him! I agree he shouldnt be in there but whats a person to do?? :)

Lol, thank you guys! 75% water change this morning and 50% again this evening.. still nothing.. im so confused!!

I would start by doubling checking your tap water. I know my nitrate levels vary ALOT, even on a day to day basis. Try a few dilution tests and see if theres any difference. Fill test tube 1/2 way to the white line with tank water, other 1/2 with tap (50-50 mix) and see if this makes any difference in the nitrate level. Then try 1/4 tank, 3/4 tap (25-75 mix). If its still very high, try 1/10 tank, 9/10 tap (10-90 mix). Lets us know how these look! :)

Salt can help keep the water balanced... It also prevents most fish diseases. Not alot about table spoon per gallon. Also plants and air stones. The more oxygen getting in the water the less nitrogen can diffuse. As far as getting it down for now, well you already did a water change.

Salt does nothing to "keep water balanced". It is not necessary unless one is treating for certain diseases, such as an ich outbreak.

will do the dilution tests in the morning.. ive done 75% morning and 50% evening the last couple days and my test hasn't changed. its still maxed at 160ppm. im officially more than confused.. math says that much water change should have changed it by now, how could it be that concentrated and my fish be alive?

Also, I have organic gravel coming in the mail and wanted to change it. the bb is in my gravel and if I change it will it mess up the water more?? I don't want to stress them more.

Back
Top Bottom