High Nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jnthn932 said:
I see your a retired chief. A boatswainmate at that! I got out last February as a BM3.

Yep. Small world Boats. PM me sometimes and we can see how small the world really is. Good luck Shipmate.

The best plants you could grow to reduce Nitrite and Nitrate levels are Java Ferns, Anubias, Hornwort and Bulb plants. they dont require anything special in the water, just light and a source of nutrition (Nitrogen) which they get from fish waste.

Ziggs180 said:
The best plants you could grow to reduce Nitrite and Nitrate levels are Java Ferns, Anubias, Hornwort and Bulb plants. they dont require anything special in the water, just light and a source of nutrition (Nitrogen) which they get from fish waste.

All plants help with the levels

Fast growing plants (the ones i listed) will quickly reduce the parameters, to make it better for the fish. but all plants do reduce the parameters because they feed off Nitrogen.

I am not an expert, in fact, I am still learning about keeping aquariums. But all my research so far has taught me this:

More frequent, smaller water changes (20-25%) is better for your fish. You should change your water at least twice a week when your water parameters are good. When your water parameters are bad, you need to do even more water changes... everyday if necessary. Only changing 20-25% at a time makes it less stressful to the fish. If you have high Nitrites your fish are already stressed, so don't add fuel to the fire.

Note: Some people have special aged water that they store in separate containers that is already aquarium-ready, these guys can easily do a 50% water changes without stressing fish. But if you do your water changes like most people--from the tap--then I would never do more than 25% at a time.

There are two ways for Nitrites to get out of your tank. The first, and most preferred, is for the good bacteria to burn them up and convert them into NitrAtes. If your tank is not fully cycled you probably don't have enough good bacteria established yet to keep up with the amount of Nitrites being produced. The second way to get rid of Nitrites is by manually removing them with water changes.

Using chemicals is generally frowned upon, as it can create unstable conditions in a tank.

I have a 10gal tank, whit the same problem last week. i did a 75% water change and took all my fish out. Install a filter for a 10-20gal make sure you seat the new media with the old and added a live plate. it took a few day to to get the Nitirites to come down, now my water is great.

Hope this helps.

Muse said:
I am not an expert, in fact, I am still learning about keeping aquariums. But all my research so far has taught me this:

More frequent, smaller water changes (20-25%) is better for your fish. You should change your water at least twice a week when your water parameters are good. When your water parameters are bad, you need to do even more water changes... everyday if necessary. Only changing 20-25% at a time makes it less stressful to the fish. If you have high Nitrites your fish are already stressed, so don't add fuel to the fire.

Note: Some people have special aged water that they store in separate containers that is already aquarium-ready, these guys can easily do a 50% water changes without stressing fish. But if you do your water changes like most people--from the tap--then I would never do more than 25% at a time.

There are two ways for Nitrites to get out of your tank. The first, and most preferred, is for the good bacteria to burn them up and convert them into NitrAtes. If your tank is not fully cycled you probably don't have enough good bacteria established yet to keep up with the amount of Nitrites being produced. The second way to get rid of Nitrites is by manually removing them with water changes.

Using chemicals is generally frowned upon, as it can create unstable conditions in a tank.

All you need is just a 20-25% water change weekly on any tank, unless when your parameters are bad then that's when you need to do multiple water changes.

Good news! My nitrite is at zero and all other levels are normal! I think my tank is finally cycled! Still cloudy but cycled.

Jnthn932 said:
Good news! My nitrite is at zero and all other levels are normal! I think my tank is finally cycled! Still cloudy but cycled.

Like how the sand looks in your tank? Don't worry about the cloudiness, it will go away.

Back
Top Bottom