Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2002, 03:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Thaiboxer
High Nitrite Levels

Had my water tested today at the LFS... it's a new tank, cycling ~2 weeks. The nitrite levels were really high (not sure of #), and the guy said that I'm probably overfeeding the tank. He said cut back on food, do 10% water change with gravel vac, and let it fall. (also recommended some chemical stuff, but I didn't buy it).

Does this sound correct?

It's a 55 gal with 7 danios and 2 bettas (1 m, 1 f)

Old 12-12-2002, 07:37 PM   #2

Pretty much correct, I'd prolly go 20% change with a 55 gallon, and less food.

Glad you didn't buy the chemicals, in the long run most of them cause more problems than they solve. Just my opinion.

Oh yeah, get your own test kit, they are important to have.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Grant R
Yep, definitely all about water changes on this one. My guess is that the reason for the high nitrite was the initial common ' Nitrite Spike ' you get, during that stage of cycling.
Do a 20 - 25% water change and things will go as they should be, back to normal.
As CorvusCorax said, you will also need you're own testing tabs kit ( Ammonia, Nitrate, pH etc ) , especially crucial at this early stage.

G
Grant R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 06:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to pondmom Send a message via Yahoo to pondmom
Thaiboxer~

here's where I fpund the best prices for test kits!!
Any online retailer will "match price" too.
Get it~ they make a world of differencehttp://www.bigalsonline.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi
5000gal + outdoor pond
125 gal FW tank
pondmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 06:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://www.bigalsonline.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi
Item # 2305 $ 9.99 best price I've seen!!!!!
sorry about that
5000gal + outdoor pond
125 gal FW tank
Old 12-13-2002, 08:29 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
nitrite

I agree with the above. Water changes are the way to go...at least 20%. And get those test kits...ammonia, nitrite, pH, nitrate.
Logan J
Old 12-13-2002, 08:55 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Pondwoman, I think you meant to say $29.99 vs $ 9.99 unless you where talking exclusivly about the PH kit.

Also, we have a member selling some kits in the Classifieds section. They are a different brand than the ones at Big Als.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 09:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

fishfreek
Item #2305 is the AP Master test kit for $9.99

(from bigals)
* The Freshwater Master Test Kit is a complete kit for testing tap water and aquarium water. * Tests water six different ways to protect tropical fish from dangerous water conditions. * Tests include: freshwater pH, high range pH, ammonia, nitrite, GH (general hardness) and KH (carbonate hardness). Kit features 4 test tubes, a holding tray for testing bottles, and test tube rack.
Price: $9.99
ASWO#2305
QTY:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Sizes
5000gal + outdoor pond
125 gal FW tank
Old 12-13-2002, 09:35 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Yes I know, And when I search item # 2305 This is what I get.

Quote:
A.P. FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT - complete kit for testing tap water and aquarium water

* The Freshwater Master Test Kit is a complete kit for testing tap water and aquarium water. * Tests water six different ways to protect tropical fish from dangerous water conditions. * Tests include: freshwater pH, high range pH, ammonia, nitrite, GH (general hardness) and KH (carbonate hardness). Kit features 4 test tubes, a holding tray for testing bottles, and test tube rack.
Price: $29.99
ASWO#2305
Thanks to some little web hacking I got the direct link as http://www.bigalsonline.com/cgi-bin/...gi?inASWO=2305

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:39 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Since we are on the subject of Test Kits I thought I would link everyone to the Test Kit's that our members have reviewed.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/displa...type=Test_Kits

There is a review for the AP kit there aswell.

Tags
level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com