High nitrites. What causes it and how do I make it go away?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I almost gave up on water testing for the mystery death tank, but on a whim I did a test this weekend and had nitrites of 10.0 and nitrates of 80!!!!
I do a 30-40% water change weekly so I have no idea what caused the spike. Ammonia was 0. After the 2nd water change nitrite was down to 5 and nitrate down to 20-40, where it usually is. I have done 3 water changes since I tested about 5 days ago, but on workdays I can only do water changes every other day since my tap filter is so slow, I have to alternate btw changing the discus' water and the community tank's water. I can't afford a new tap filter until next payday, weekend after next, so I'm hoping this will make do. I also just got my shipment of new plants. Will the nitrite/nitrate spike affect them? Will they help level it off? Sigh...

Re: High nitrites. What causes it and how do I make it go aw

JenNewbie said:
I did a test this weekend and had nitrites of 10.0 and nitrates of 80!!!!

What type of test (strips or re-agent liquids)?

JenNewbie said:
since my tap filter is so slow

What kind of tap filter?

JenNewbie said:
I also just got my shipment of new plants. Will the nitrite/nitrate spike affect them? Will they help level it off? Sigh...

It appears that your tap water may be high in nitrates. Sit a glass of water overnight and test the next day.

Plants do aid in the control of NO2 and NO3, but I'm not knowledgeable in this area. Hopefully a member who is will offer some advice.

This tank was already cycled and mature? I wouldnt worry about the plants being harmed by the water parameters so much. Are you sure there isnt a dead critter in the tank somewhere? I recently found a dead fish hiding in the substrate behind a large rock in my community tank. After removing the dead fish and doing 30% water changes for a few days, my nitrate levels dropped a lot. With good lighting, the plants should help water paramaters immensely; especially if you have a good number of fast growing plants. I would scour the tank for anything that might be decaying, maybe vac the substrate to remove any degradeable substances, add the plants and perform small, daily water changes for several days.

the nitrates and nitrites could derive from several different places. first what type of filter do you use?
did any plants die recently? plant death will raise nitrates and ites plants are not usually affected by these levels, and the will help in decreasing the level of the nitros. there are chemicals that are designed ti reduce nitrates and nitrites. that may help you get this epidemic under control.
also the death of a fish can greatly increase the levels in a tank. what fish are in the tank right now? Good Luck

This is my 75 gallon tank. It has a Penguin 330 HOB and a Tetra 20 HOB, all w/ sponge filters. My Rena Filstar died and I just really like the HOB filters better than the canister. Tank is about 4 months old, but was started with mature filter media and some used decorations, so I never went through a complete cycle (never had an ammonia or nitrate spike). My test kit is test strips; less accurate than liquid, I know. I've been losing fish for about a month, it seems and all my tests were normal the first few weeks, so I didn't bother retesting until I did it on the spur of the moment last week. I haven't completely redecorated the tank, but there really are only 4 big decorations (3 rocks and a conch shell and a piece of driftwood that leans up the side of the tank), not a lot of hiding places for a dead plant/fish although I've certainly been losing enough for one to go unnoticed. I have a WaterPik filter on the tap, but it seems to crap out after a couple of weeks. The light that's supposed to indicate that the filter is working doesn't light up and the water pressure goes down to nil. So I don't know that I'm not just adding straight unfiltered tap water. I use Wardley Dechlor in any case, but our tapwater is notorious for having heavy mineral counts. I know it comes out of the tap w/ a nitrate level of 20 ppm. I think that answered everyone's questions...

It could also be that something caused a massive die off of your nitrifying bacteria colony. That would account for an elevation in nitrites.

JenNewbie said:
My test kit is test strips; less accurate than liquid, I know.

You will be better off in the long run with the liquids IMO.

JenNewbie said:
I have a WaterPik filter on the tap, but it seems to crap out after a couple of weeks.

It's a longshot but it could be possible that instead of filtering, it's adding additional impurities or not removing any if doesn't function correctly. Adding the dechlor is a great idea on your part.

JenNewbie said:
I don't know that I'm not just adding straight unfiltered tap water. I use Wardley Dechlor in any case, but our tapwater is notorious for having heavy mineral counts. I know it comes out of the tap w/ a nitrate level of 20 [acronym="Parts per Million"]ppm[/acronym]. I think that answered everyone's questions...

Yeah, that's pretty high however, since this test was done with the strips(?) it may not be accurate and the levels could be even higher.

I suggest getting the liquid tests. Most LFS can test your water. If you can, have them test it (giving you all the results)

Back
Top Bottom