high ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommytron

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i know that it is said that as long as your ph stays constant and doesn't swing, that it doesn't matter what it is. well my ph is testing 7.6 (maybe more as the test only goes up to 7.6) but most of the fish i am looking to get prefer a ph of around 7.0. will this matter? should i be looking at different fish or for a way to lower the ph?

You'll need a high range pH testing kit. As all you know at the moment is that it's at least 7.6.

As to your question, probably neither, but lets wait to see your result.

I think as long as you drip acclimate your fish they should be ok, what kind are you looking at? As long as they aren't super sensitive like discus it should be good. Unless of course your pH is way higher than that, which in that case I'm not sure how much it would affect them. I know there are some things you can do to lower the pH but the natural buffers in the water might bring it back. I have read that adding driftwood can lower it.

+1 on the high range pH test kit.

+1 for drip acclimation. Very few fish won't adapt to a different pH level. They may need a specific pH to trigger breeding, but they'll survive just fine at other pH levels.

My ph is idiotic like that also, it's too high for the regular test and too low for the high range. So I just say it's 7.5. Don't worry less than 8 is good for any fish really unless you're trying to breed them. Drip acclimate and you will have no worries.

Also remember that the pH of your water straight out of the tap is likely to be different that in the tank.

I thought something very strange was going on when the tank water was about 0.5pH different from the tap water. Until I found out on here that this is normal and it's subject to 'outgassing'.

So to get your waters true pH you need to let it stand for 24 hours and then test it.

so i know that it is said that as long as your ph stays constant and doesn't swing, that it doesn't matter what it is. well my ph is testing 7.6 (maybe more as the test only goes up to 7.6) but most of the fish i am looking to get prefer a ph of around 7.0. will this matter? should i be looking at different fish or for a way to lower the ph?
ask your self this.... what water is the lfs keeping them in? i would bet money its the tap water. if you are close it should be very close to yours. Mark Hewitt is right you should get the high ph test kit. its a good idea to know about your water one way or another.

Most cichlids from South America, including Angels, prefer slightly acidic water (6.7-6.9). Ph of water does matter in terms of overall health of the fish (and longevity).
Bobz

Most cichlids from South America, including Angels, prefer slightly acidic water (6.7-6.9). Ph of water does matter in terms of overall health of the fish (and longevity).
Bobz
i have kept many south Americans in my tap water which has a ph of 7.8 and hard water. i also know tons of local breeders who keep many cichlids too in the same water. i have grown out angels from dime size to adults then have them breed with out any health or longevity problems. i have even kept discus in my tap water and know plenty others who have also. there are some cases where ph really does play a role... and its just not south american cichlids but the vast majority of fish in the hobby can adapt fine.

Back
Top Bottom