high ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reygan2 said:
Thanks, I still can't make up my mind. I've had GF before (Oranda's, Fantails, Black Moors) and that is what I fully intended to put in my tanks, but I've become quite smitten with some tropical fish. I'm loving my DG, but he is so shy. I've only had him for two days though. Will he become more comfy soon, or do they tend to be hiders?

I have a moor panda fancy. Cutest thing EVER

img_1504525_0_fb774b57a43609b70cb2977ba526320d.jpg

Here's another option for you. African rift lake cichlids thrive in higher pH's. For instance, I remember reading that cichlids from Lake Tanganyika can actually do really well in a pH as high as 9.5

It's just another option for you. That high pH could actually be turned into an advantage lol.

Wow, I looked those up and they are impressive! Where on earth would I go about finding them, are they common? I have to drive so far to any fs that ordering online would probably be my best bet.

Well if you're buying online then that REALLY expands the variety of cichlids you could choose from.

I've been fortunate enough to never really have to buy online, because I live in South Florida and it just so happens that the water here is perfect for breeding them (high pH, very hard) so there are tons of cichlids farms here.

Anyways, I've heard really good things about:
http://www.davesfish.com/

However before you buy anything make sure you research, research, research!!

This website has some fantastic articles that can help get you on the right road:

http://cichlid-forum.com/articles/

And if you want to make your life easier, the website also has some recommendations for easy set ups for your tank:

http://cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_29g.php

Personally I think a Tanganyikan mini-community would look great, but that's just me.

Good luck!!

Talking about acclimation, a simple way I found was to buy those hang on the side boxes the LFS uses. Put any fish you buy in that and hang in the tank. Then I use a turkey baster and suck water from the tank a little at a time an put in the box. Suck out water as it gets full. Do this over the course of an hour or so and then the temps and water are the same and the fish are ready to be released...

Here's how I do it. Buy yourself some really think vinyl hosing (the diameter of air line hosing) at home depot or any other hardware store.

You empty the fish and its water into a bucket, you then put one end of the tubing in the bucket and the other in your tank. You tie a knot or two in the tubing, and then start a siphon. It should either come out a drop at a time or as a really light trickle.

When the buckets about half full (or half empty lol), stop the siphon and empty out most of the water. Then start the siphon up again until the bucket gets full and you're good to put the fish in the tank.

Summing it up: put fish in bucket, start siphon with very thin tubing, empty out periodically. Put fish in tank.

I prefer that to using turkey basters bcz that way you don't have to be right next to the fish the whole time and you could let the siphon do the work for you lol. Just my opinion though

Back
Top Bottom