High ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tank has been cycled since Thursday and the PH has been pretty high (around 7.6). Is this okay? My other readings are: Ammonia: 0 ppm, Nitrite: 0 ppm, and Nitrate: 5-10 ppm. I know the ideal ph is 7, and I have two Gold Rams which can be sensitive. I have live plants and driftwood, which I thought might lower the ph and no chemicals have been added. Thanks!

Having a stable is far more important than having a specific PH. Much better to constantly be .2 above the"ideal" range for a fish, than to constantly have .4 in swing trying to maintain the ideal PH.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't know your stocking our the ideal PH range for all of your fish. Goldfish like higher PH, tiger barbs like soft, slightly acidic water, other fish really don't care as long as it is constant. I was just throwing out the reminder that stable will cause less stress than a swinging PH. Your source of high PH is likely the hardness of your tap water, in which case you would need to cut your tap water with filtered or distilled water.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well my fish are neon tetras, guppies, gold rams, dwarf Gouramis, and a pleco. So I am all over the place haha. All of the fish seem fine except the rams that I got Thursday seem to be gulping, one more heavily than the other

Well my fish are neon tetras, guppies, gold rams, dwarf Gouramis, and a pleco. So I am all over the place haha. All of the fish seem fine except the rams that I got Thursday seem to be gulping, one more heavily than the other

I would leave it be. Most fish can adapt easily. And with most fish it is only preferable to have the correct. Some do require certain ph levels but a lot if fish are farm bred to the farms water source anyway.

Okay yeah I will leave it alone. I thought it was better to ask you guys than to do something on my own I might regret. Thank you for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom