High PH Community Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbooker

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a nearly cycled tank that I'm hoping to stock fairly soon.

Throughout my cycle my pH has been fairly consistently testing at 8.4. I was planning on stocking with some Corys and Cherry Barbs, possibly a dwarf gourami, but from what I'm reading they all prefer a lower pH.

I've also heard that the actual pH level isn't as important as keeping it consistent. I'm worried if I try to lower it, I'll have some difficulty maintaining a lower pH after water changes and such.

Thoughts?

From my own experience, I have kept anything from African cichlids to many South and Central American fish in a ph of around 8 for years. And yes, you're better off not messing with the ph by adding chemicals. I've found that most fish are tolerant of ph variations as long as it's not a ph crash where you can start seeing readings of around 6.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes, pH swings are much worse for your fish than having to acclimate to a pH that is not it's preferred level.

The best article I've seen that explains about pH, alkalinity and buffering is from thekrib.com called Beginner FAQ: Water Chemistry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be leaving it alone, its acually dropped off a bit the last few tests, looks to be heading slowly closer to my tap water with each water change.

Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom