High PH/Low PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheJT

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have and use the API master kit but I only test for ammo NO2 and NO3.
I have a test for high and low PH but i dont why I would use them. Please dont just reply with dont bother... i am not going to mess with my ph i am just curious and wish to understand.

thanks in advance,

:fish2:

I'm a bit confused by the question ... but if your asking why bother testing for pH ... then the simple answer is because you want to know. I honestly test my pH once a month. I would think pH is a more important issue when cycling a tank .. once your BB is established .. and as long as your PWC source is constant ... then it's not as big of an issue.

If it's vital to keep a soft water low pH bog like aquarium, then pH testing will be more important. However there is one thing to keep in mind. In pH below 7.0 ammo takes the form of ammonium NH4 which is actually a less toxic form than ammonia (NH3) which occurs at pH above 7.0

Your question is a valid one and has been the source of debates .. the important of pH.

ok put more basically... hopefully lol
what is the difference between the high and low ph tests? isnt ph just ph? it is what it is right? why the high and low? when would i use each? I hope thats better lol

ok put more basically... hopefully lol
what is the difference between the high and low ph tests? isnt ph just ph? it is what it is right? why the high and low? when would i use each? I hope thats better lol

In that case ... I wonder the same thing? Makes more sense to me to have one bottle with a larger color range. I'm guessing to test for higher pH values requires different chemicals which is why you have two different pH tests.

Maybe someone else can better answer this ... I'd be curious as well for the actual answer.

The reason for the low and high is because each bottle tests a certain range. If I use the low PH bottle my test will be off the charts so for me I have to test using the high PH range.

I don't try to lower my PH. I just research the fish I want and go from there. Most fish can adapt.

Back
Top Bottom