High ph test 8.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Today I decided to do a high ph test just because I have alway felt unsure of the results I've been getting. I use an API Master Test Kit. I'm thinking I should get the API ph down because I have angelfish, gouramis, rainbows and cory cats in this tank. I did a pwc yesterday. Its a 55g planted tank and I took out about 1/3 of the water. Is there anything else I can do?

:banghead::banghead:

I know that most fish can adapt to a constant ph level, but idk about the species you keep. You could do the ph down, but add it to replacement water after small water changes to bring it down gradually. A quick ph swing could send your fish into shock.

Hi ph

I know that most fish can adapt to a constant ph level, but idk about the species you keep. You could do the ph down, but add it to replacement water after small water changes to bring it down gradually. A quick ph swing could send your fish into shock.

I have blue and gold gouramis, turquoise rainbows, bosemani rainbows and as for the angels, well all I can say is my daughter has bought to many and all I know is they are gold ones, orange koi's, and very little veils. I doublt that really answers your queston, but its the best I can do. Half of these fish will be going into a new 55g after christmas. As for the ph I have a feeling it has been this high all along. So if they adapt, maybe its ok. I really don't want to add any chemicals to the tank if I don't have to.

Thanks

Oh no, I know the fish you keep, I just don't know much about them. But ya, most fish can adapt. If they're not showing any signs of stress I wouldn't worry about it. But i'd wait to see what anyone who keeps those types of fish says.

Hi. I have alkaline water of 8.4-8.6, and nobody has ever recommended using ph down solutions. From what I've been told, it can cause your ph to be unstable with is a lot more harmful to your fish than a constant 8.2.

That being said, it's generally accepted that fish can successfully get used to higher phs. I don't think you have anything to worry about if your fish are doing well and not struggling.

I also keep cories and they are quite resilient. I'm not sure about the angelfish and gouramis, but I hear blue and golds are hardy. I wouldn't be worried unless you want to breed them. Then I may ask around to see if other people have bred them successful in water similar to yours. And I think some species of rainbows prefer alkaline conditions anyway, you may want to research what your rainbows like.

Doing a water change may not change the pH. Alkaline water buffers well, so it's very stable. Check what the pH is straight from the tap, and then after 24 hours in a container with an airstone in it. the pH of tap water can change. Mine is 7.8 out of the tap but rises to 8.6 after a couple days.

If a high ph really bothers you, you can get some driftwood and that might help. It didn't help me but it might help you. Some people also filter with peat, but I don't know much about that.

Yes mine is over 8 also, about 8.2 I think my lfs told me. My fish are just fine.

Back
Top Bottom