high PH...will my fish be ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missgingersnap

Aquarium Advice Activist
The Ph in my 48 gallon is high. My test card goes up to 7.6 but the colour is even deeper blue than the highest reading on my card. I was at the LFS today and he said that's too high for tropical fish. Everyone in there looks healthy and happy but now I'm a little freaked out about what the fish store guy said. He wasn't trying to sell me anything to lower it but seemed concerned and told me to wait before buying more fish (I was eyeballing a pair of bolivian rams). Should I be concerned? I heard you could lower it naturally with wood. What do you guys think? Thanks a bunch!

You can do a 25% PWC which should drop it down, aslong as the water used to replace it doesnt have a high ph as well. Wood may work.

So what is your actual ph in the tank and the tap? I really don't think 7.6 is not "too high for tropical fish". Yes there are circumstances that this ph may be too high, breeding certain fish for explain. Most fish will adjust to a PH out of their "norm". Having a stable PH is more important.

If the fish are happy leave them alone

The ph is 7.6 or higher. That's as high as the card goes but the blue is a bit deeper than the highest one on the card. I'm not planning on doing any breeding so I guess I shouldn't worry about it. The guy at the store just scared me a bit. I'm still pretty new to fishkeeping. :) My Ammonia and nitrites are 0ppm and nitrates are between 10-20ppm.

I would not worry about the PH at this point. Test it again in a couple days. See what you get then.

If the fish are happy you are in good shape.

FWIW, the pH in my 20G is around 8.0-8.4 (can't remember off the top of my head). Everyone's healthy and happy in there and there's a good mix in there.

Ok...I guess I won't worry about it then. I was going to get some driftwood or peat moss to try to lower it but everyone seems fine so I'll just leave well enough alone. Thanks guys!

There is a high range pH test kit from API if your reading is off the scale of the standard one.
http://aquariumpharm.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=75
I don't think the pH will be a problem. Mine is 8.0 and all fish doing very well. Maintenance, water changes, stability, feeding, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and temperature are all much more important than the pH in my humble opinion.

Diftwood has always worked good for me. Keep in mind the ability to lower your PH will depend on the KH of you water. The higher the KH the more "buffer" your water has. Meaning your water would be more resistant to a change in PH.

Well, my water parameters are all good. My temperature is around 80 and I do 30-50% water change every Sunday. I'm pretty sure I'm not overfeeding but I'm not sure. Some stuff falls to the bottom but my cories are little piglets and hoover that up real quick. lol I think things are going pretty well so far. I've been doing lots of reading and asking lots of questions on these forums....which I find extremely helpful. Thanks everyone!
Should I be testing for kh? I only test ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph.

I honestly won't worry about the PH or the KH.

If you like the look of driftwood add some. If the PH drops a little great................. If not no big deal. The fish are healthy that is the important thing!!! :)

I got a high range ph test kit and it's 7.6 in one tank and 7.4 in the other. So not bad over all. Would I be able to keep german blue rams in 7.6 ph? I hear they're delicate and need a lowish ph. :)

Back
Top Bottom