Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2018, 04:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

High TDS

I have a 70g which had an 18" Knife in it until 3 mths ago when plans to upgrade his tank fell through & I rehomed him. I cleaned the gravel & left both filters running and was using it to hold duckweed for lack of a direction in which to move fish wise. I think I was going to move the Oscar in here for now from the 55g until I can afford another 90+ but when I tested the TDS which is generally all I keep track of it was sitting at 800 All my tanks run high since my tap water is around 350 but the fish & neo shrimp are doing fine. Why is this one SO high, I am assuming lack of fish inhabitants/food (still has MTS) so I just wanted to make sure grumpy wasn't going to do more than sulk if he got moved.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by earhtmother View Post
I have a 70g which had an 18" Knife in it until 3 mths ago when plans to upgrade his tank fell through & I rehomed him. I cleaned the gravel & left both filters running and was using it to hold duckweed for lack of a direction in which to move fish wise. I think I was going to move the Oscar in here for now from the 55g until I can afford another 90+ but when I tested the TDS which is generally all I keep track of it was sitting at 800 All my tanks run high since my tap water is around 350 but the fish & neo shrimp are doing fine. Why is this one SO high, I am assuming lack of fish inhabitants/food (still has MTS) so I just wanted to make sure grumpy wasn't going to do more than sulk if he got moved.
Well I am surprised how your neos are alive. I know they are hardy but 800 is extremely high for fish or invertebrates. If your tap water is 350 then why it shows 800? Did you check your tds meter if its fine? Please check in distilled or ro water to see if it is working fine. If i were you i would slowly reduce the tds. So sudden change will give your fish and invertebrates a big shock. Shrimps are more ok from goinh from low tds to high but when you move them from high to low thats gonna be very stressful. Please try to find out what is causing this high tds. Something maybe leaching in water? You add something in water like fertilizers or something or any thing to buffer?

Old 09-18-2018, 12:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have a planted tank? Fertilizers raise TDS. Do you have a hot water heater in your home and do you use your warmed tap water to do water changes?

You may have to mix 50/50 tap with R/O.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Just filling with tap water over and over and over and over increases TDS. Solids stay in the water while the water evaporates.

Kashif314 is right about sudden change of water parameters.

You can easily start doing pwc every day. Smaller to start, like 10-15% daily for few days, then maybe 15-20% a week, then 25% daily for a week and then check the numbers again, and then slightly larger pwc few times over a week, check again. So that you can get the tank water closer to the tap water TDS.

One issue about testing TDS is you do not know what all the TDS is comprised of.

Try testing GH and KH for tank and then tap - compare, and see how far apart you are. Other contents may be organics creating a high TDS.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Don't test TDS too soon after fertilizing or doing other stuff into the tank, wait 12 hours. Also I seem to remember that testing even after using Prime will indicate elevated numbers.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have a hot water heater that's fairly old it will have a build up of solids in it which will raise your TDS as high as 150-200 ppm just by using any amount of hot water. If this is the case you may have to use cold water and heat it with a heater before adding it to your tank for a water change.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I use water from my water heater and it does not raise my TDS a bit .
As a mater of fact the crystallization that takes place in the heater actually removes a little of the TDS. Think about it ;The heating element gathers the minerals on it, it does not produce them...Just like my old distiller the crap left behind in the hot water tank is a lot of the dissolved minerals.Maybe at some point they may come out but I have not experienced this in years of mixing warm and cold water.
I agree to change more water or maybe even use ro.

What substrate are using? Some of them release minerals into the water column......
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Case and point......recently tested my dad's TDS with straight up cold water out of the tap. TDS was 180 ppm. Tested the water at 84 degrees immediately afterwards and TDS was 365 ppm. Tested cold again immediately after this and TDS was 180 ppm again. Tested the cold water out of the faucet outside the house and it was 180 ppm. His hot water heater is 20 years old. DS is salts and minerals. Most hot water heaters will get a build up of these two things in them over time and go out. Especially if your area has harder water. If you don't believe it, the next time your old hot water heater goes out tear it open and look in the bottom before you throw it away. I'd think if water is passing through these solids that have built up in a hot water heater before it comes out of your tap it will raise the TDS. If this isn't the case then I have absolutely no idea why the TDS at my father's house is doubling out of the same water line between the cold and hot water.

I tested this on my own house as well. I have a 10 year old hot water heater. The TDS out of the tap on cold is 179 ppm. At 84 degrees it is 220 ppm. Not quite as much of a jump but probably not as much dissolved solids built up in my tank yet. I tested the cold water out of my faucet outside and it was also 179 ppm. Every time I tested I did 3 tests to see if anything changed and it didn't.

Might be worth taking your TDS meter and testing this for yourself.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also scrutinize any rocks you may have in your tank. Many types of rock can fiddle with your pH and hardness.
JackBinimbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'll preface this by stating it has taken me 3 attempts to write this as the first few responses I wrote were as judgemental as some of your responses. What is most annoying is that my actual question was never addressed, most of you simply just saw the high TDS numbers and proceeded jumped all over me.*

I asked what was causing a high TDS reading in this particular tank as the only difference between it and my other 5 was it's current lack of fishy inhabitants.* I am still assuming it was due to this and the mess that Henkel the knife left it in* as he was as temperamental as any oscar when it came to fussing in his tank so the maintenance was minmal to avoid disturbing him. I have now vacuumed the gravel 3 times which of course means a 60/75% WC when doing it with a Python and my TDS is now in the high*300s*so the oscar will be moving in this*afternoon much to his annoyance at the *up close*personal*attention*

Kashif314

I NEVER said I was keeping ANYTHING in this tank right now or that ALL my tanks had an 800 TDS reading, why you thought this I am not sure.*

Autumnsky

I don't know why YOU assumed I was only doing top offs as I never mentioned my WC routine at all. FYI I do a weekly 50% WC on all my tanks (except the shrimps who get around 25 or less)

Everyone*

My tanks have been up & running almost 10 years at this particular location and other than the usual losses to diseases, equipment failure and unexpected environmental occurrences (heatwaves or cold snaps) the fish are doing fine and the shrimp are comfortable* enough to repopulate their tank so I am not worried that the TDS is running as high as it usually*does, when it increases I look for the reason but if it stays in its usual range I leave it be.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com