Hikari vs. Omega One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
A lot of people have been switching their fish over to high quality foods. And I think the two at the top of the list are NLS and Omega One. However I've been using hikari for 7 years now and always with positive results plus the price can't be beat. But I've decided to put this to a test. I've been feeding my fish Hikari for all their life's and now I'm going to do a test. I will feed them Omega One Cichlid Pellets instead of their normal Hikari pellets and nothing else for 5 days. The fish I'm using are 3 Blood Parrots, 2 Angels, and 1 Red Bellied Pacu. If I notice any increase in growth, size, or behavior then I'm switching over to Omega One. Ill be doing updates during the 5 days if I notice anything.
Normal diet Hikari Cichlid Staple vs. Omega One!

If you have experience with Omega One or NLS please inform me of your experiences. Thanks guys!

For my community tank I feed my fish osi flake food with garlic I got cheap from dr foster and smith I think and then bought some omega one flake food from my lfs and my fish won't touch the omega one they'll spit it right out.... But I do wanna try out the NLS food cause I've heard lots of good things about it. But it's a little expensive

For my community tank I feed my fish osi flake food with garlic I got cheap from dr foster and smith I think and then bought some omega one flake food from my lfs and my fish won't touch the omega one they'll spit it right out.... But I do wanna try out the NLS food cause I've heard lots of good things about it. But it's a little expensive

Yeah it is. Just fed them Omega One for the first time. They all accepted it and my Catfish seemed to really like it. One benefit is it doesn't cloud my water as much as Hikari does.

For the past 8months now I've been feeding all my fish NLS exclusively as a staple and the only exceptions to this are Omega1 shrimp pellets and fresh veggies.
Before NLS I fed hikari, omega and tetra products.
I can tell you that I've experienced an immense change in my fishes overall energy level, health, coloration and breeding habits.

For the past 8months now I've been feeding all my fish NLS exclusively as a staple and the only exceptions to this are Omega1 shrimp pellets and fresh veggies.
Before NLS I fed hikari, omega and tetra products.
I can tell you that I've experienced an immense change in my fishes overall energy level, health, coloration and breeding habits.

Ok thanks for the feedback. Depending on the results of this test I might be feeding NLS to my future monster fish.

I feed my fish omega 1 and they seem to love it I don't feed them flakes because I was told it is inferior to pellet foods as far as quality of ingredients used and since I switched to pellets my fish refuse to eat flakes

I feed my fish omega 1 and they seem to love it I don't feed them flakes because I was told it is inferior to pellet foods as far as quality of ingredients used and since I switched to pellets my fish refuse to eat flakes

That's true, especially density of food is a lot higher per pellet than flakes. But I have fish such as my Rainbows that don't like pellets much, but love flakes.

My wifes brother has some rainbows that won't eat pellets either so makes sense.

I rotate between Hikari, NLS and Omega One. I figure if one doesn't have some vital nutrient or trace element the other will have it. I could be way off though.

There's a new food out there now that's the best food available and best delivery system available. Repashy is the name of it. You have to mix it to make it but I've heard nothing but great things and I know a few members here use it and swear by it.

Here's a link

http://www.store.repashy.com/repashy-superfoods/retail/by-product-type-en/fish-food-gels/

I ordered some yesterday so ill give some feedback once I get it and try it out.

Oh yea kinda forgot but I feed NLS currently for all my tanks, and its great food.

Is there an appreciable difference nutritionally between San Francisco Brand freeze dried krill vs Hikari? Hikari looks prettier but SF is way cheaper.

Compare the ingredients between the 2 I know that the cheaper brands tend to use a form of fish meal which is made of all the left overs so to speak such as scales and ground up bones while the good ones use fish meal made from whole herring I don't no much about San Francisco brand so my advice is to compare ingredients

There's a new food out there now that's the best food available and best delivery system available. Repashy is the name of it. You have to mix it to make it but I've heard nothing but great things and I know a few members here use it and swear by it.

Here's a link

Repashy Superfoods :: RETAIL SALES :: By Product Type :: Fish Gel Food Premixes - Repashy Ventures - Distributor Center

I ordered some yesterday so ill give some feedback once I get it and try it out.

Oh yea kinda forgot but I feed NLS currently for all my tanks, and its great food.

I'm feeding Repashy soilent green to my goldfish, and getting ready to re-order. (They also get Hikari Lionhead pellets and spinach, green peas, and the occasional snack of sliced orange.)

This time, I think I'm going to add Repashy meat pie for my 10 gallon community tank with four carnivores - 3 three ADFs, and a male crowntail betta with a real attitude named Dubya.

The goldfish are all over the soilent green, and whether I drop them a cube or cut it up into bite sized pieces and drop it, it holds its shape well, and I don't notice any cloudiness in the water from it.

Sharpchick said:
I'm feeding Repashy soilent green to my goldfish, and getting ready to re-order. (They also get Hikari Lionhead pellets and spinach, green peas, and the occasional snack of sliced orange.)

This time, I think I'm going to add Repashy meat pie for my 10 gallon community tank with four carnivores - 3 three ADFs, and a male crowntail betta with a real attitude named Dubya.

The goldfish are all over the soilent green, and whether I drop them a cube or cut it up into bite sized pieces and drop it, it holds its shape well, and I don't notice any cloudiness in the water from it.

Yea I'm fast becoming a firm believer in repashy. It's supposed to stay good for like 24 hours in water so the fish can graze on it as they please. My fish go crazy for it especially my cichlids. I'm using community plus omnivore mix

I didn't notice any results on the food but I have noticed that the brand Aqueon seems to have good ingredients. Anybody else see this?

vanimal said:
I didn't notice any results on the food but I have noticed that the brand Aqueon seems to have good ingredients. Anybody else see this?

I've used aqueon pellets before with my cichlids and IMO its average. I notice much more vibrant coloring using NLS. I haven't been using repashy that long to notice any big changes yet but the fish love it.

Yea I would go with omega one or nls my self I switched from omega one to nls recently haven't noticed a difference yet but its only been a week

Back
Top Bottom