Hillstream Loach died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Despite my attempts to make the tank as suitable as possible, my Hillstram Loach died last night. I had increased the current so that my plants were waving from it. I added another bubbler for more oxygen in the water. Tank parameters were fine. No aggressive fish in the tank. Added an algae wafer to give him some food while the tank started building algae. The only criteria I hadnt met for him was getting him a couple more of his own kind. I had actually called the LFS to see if they had them and they will be bringing more in by mid next week. So I had all my bases covered. He was fine and happy last night when i went to bed :(

I don't know if this could be a factor to your HL's death, but, HLs like cooler temperatures. I would keep their tanks at about 74/75*F. How long have you had the Hillstream Loach alone? They usually won't die without having a few friends for a few weeks to months. My friend had a lone Cory Cat for like 3 months. Eventually he succumbed due to the lack of his school which brought stress, thus weakening his immune system.

On the bright side, :angel: he could have been just a sick fish to begin with. I presume you want more, so, when your LFS stocks them next pick out 3-5 of the healthiest HLs in the tank. You can usually tell with most fish if they are healthy, no parasites, funguses, ick, etc.

Good luck. (y)

I don't know if this could be a factor to your HL's death, but, HLs like cooler temperatures. I would keep their tanks at about 74/75*F. How long have you had the Hillstream Loach alone? They usually won't die without having a few friends for a few weeks to months. My friend had a lone Cory Cat for like 3 months. Eventually he succumbed due to the lack of his school which brought stress, thus weakening his immune system.

On the bright side, :angel: he could have been just a sick fish to begin with. I presume you want more, so, when your LFS stocks them next pick out 3-5 of the healthiest HLs in the tank. You can usually tell with most fish if they are healthy, no parasites, funguses, ick, etc.

Good luck. (y)

The only reason I had him was because my brother in law moved and gave me his fish. The tank temperature stays at 78*, so that could have been a factor. Temperature was the one thing I really didn't see any information about when i was looking for care instructions for him. I'd only had him since Wednesday, not even 2 days. I dont think I'll buy anymore only because they are a fish i am not familiar with. It was just by chance that I had him in the first place :) He was a cool looking fish tho!

Yeah, they are neat. I'm not much of a sub-tropical guy though! :cool:

I'll be replacing him with a BristleNose as soon as I can get out to the LFS. This is the first fish I've lost in a years time except the platy's that I had wiped out by a bad bout of ICK, and thats between 4 tanks :)

I'm sure! You seem very experienced. :) I love my Bristlenose. Not sure if you know this or not but female Bristle noses don't get the Bristles and many people then think they are a Common Pleco. Just a heads up. That happened to me when I first got mine, boy, they grow so fast!

I'm sure! You seem very experienced. :) I love my Bristlenose. Not sure if you know this or not but female Bristle noses don't get the Bristles and many people then think they are a Common Pleco. Just a heads up. That happened to me when I first got mine, boy, they grow so fast!

My current BN is a female and she just has small nubs rather than bristles. I love her coloring. She has really cool white stripes in her fins and tail.

Sorry to hear you lost him. They are very specialized. I appreciate you tried to meet his needs on short notice.

The biggest problem is clashing information on the internet. One site says one thing, another says something else. I tried to run with what I was told by forum members. Feel sorry for the little guy. All the other fish are doing just fine.

If you ever need help with anything like that just PM me. I'm sure Coursair would be a big help too.

Thanks. I tend to stick to what I know but, I know if I have questions, i can generally get a quick reply from members here :) I get very impatient tho, lol.

Back
Top Bottom