Ho often to you test for Ammonia and Nitrite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you test for Ammonia and Nitrite atleast weekly?

• I do not test ever.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I test for them one a year

• I test for them once every 6 months

• I test for them once a month

• I test for them once a week

• I test for them more then once a week

• Total voters
I test for nitrite more often than amonia. My tank is newly cycled and I have been adding fish so I'm trying to keep close tabs on things.

I never test. If i had NH3, i would have algea everywhere. therefore i don't need to test for it.

I do not test for ammonia or nitrites unless there is something wrong with the tank such as a sick fish or death.

I put 6 mnthly, but its sometimes less.
You get to a stage when your fish tell/show you when there are high nitrates or levels of ammonia. Meaning you haven't been keeping up with maintenance.

off topic: DeFeKt love that baby photo, yours?
back on topic: I test mine MayBe once every 3-4 months. Only when there is a problem or suspected problem do I test regularly. Then I test until the issue is resolved. Other than that, I go back to just testing now and again to see everything is still fine.
Unless it is a new tank setup of course.

haha

Off Topic: No :p, heres my youngest boy below, very similar picture though :p

On Topic: I rarely test with a new tank either, probably because I cycle with old media, but with the same reasoning. You can tell when your water needs correcting.

img_716466_0_e1fdad0fdbdab77fe194893415bb03c4.jpg

I answered once a week but that's really for nitrates. I test for ammonia and nitrites (a) weekly in the small tanks since a small problem can end up with a big spike (b) whenever I see a fish "act weird" - anything out of the ordinary, from flashing to looking bored / less active (c) whenever I find my snails closed up in their shells - I've found that my mystery snails are great barometers / early warning alerts for potential tank problems (d) every other day for the first 10 days whenever I add new fish to the tank

which reminds me ... I need ammonia and nitrate refills in my kit !

actually this is more or less the kind of response i was expecting. to be honest i really only test the 75 gal regularly (still playing with Macro and DIY CO2, so i like to keep track of nitrate, PH, KH and Phosphates) i have not tested the 28 gal i over 6 months for anything. i have never once tested either my 45 or the 20 (used old media to cycle and have never seen any sign of trouble)
the 10 of course when i start to try my reef i will have to test allot (no SW media to cycle with :( )

I only test for nitrates,and thats not very often at all any more.Once or twice a month at most.

I change water more often then that,I just test on occassion to be sure the nitrates are in check.

Ammonia,and nitrite...I just don't bother.

:S Maybe I'm obsessive compulsive lol. I test twice a week, just prior to doing my twice weekly water changes (so every Wednesday and every Saturday). I also plot the results on an Excel chart, so I can see exactly how/when the cycle is taking place :S lol

I didn't vote because my test pattern isn't an option. LOL I only test for ammonia and nitrites when I've had an unexplainable death or a visible tank problem (fish acting strange, colors of fish looking weird, etc)

crazyred said:
I didn't vote because my test pattern isn't an option. LOL I only test for ammonia and nitrites when I've had an unexplainable death or a visible tank problem (fish acting strange, colors of fish looking weird, etc)
Same here.....i don't test unless something isn't right.

i used to check on a weekly basis but when they never changed from 0ppm i decided it was a waste of time. now i check the nitrate levels maybe 2/3 times a month or if things don't look good in there.

Back
Top Bottom