HOB Filter Comparison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e2wilhelm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I have a 20g tall tank and need to upgrade the filter that came with the tank. I am looking at either the Fluval C3 or the AC50. Which one of these filters would people recommend? Also, I currently don't have live plants, but I'm really considering adding a few if this would make a difference for the recommendations.

Thanks!

Id go with the AC50 if it was me. It has a better flow rate and you can do a lot with them. Plus I'm not crazy about fluval anything for some reason or another, but then again I dont know a lot about the c3

Second the ac50. Nice units well tested, quiet and as Andrew said a lot more versatile.

Remember to run the old and new together on the tank for a few weeks. To let that new filter build BB

Andrew McFadden said:
... Plus I'm not crazy about fluval anything for some reason or another, but then again I dont know a lot about the c3

Well, this is going to is going to make you itch then ;) ...
AquaClears are Fluval. They have even rolled out the new packaging with a giant "Fluval" and tiny "AquaClear" on it.

Thank you all for relying. So they are both made by Hagen then, correct? For a 20, would the AC70 be too much? It is rated for 40-70 g tanks. It seems that you all agree that the AC filter is a better way to go.

Thank you all for relying. So they are both made by Hagen then, correct? For a 20, would the AC70 be too much? It is rated for 40-70 g tanks. It seems that you all agree that the AC filter is a better way to go.

I have never been able to over filter a tank. The more filtration the better IMO. On both my present tanks, I'm filtering the tank volume roughly 14x an hour per tank. I'm also adding a refugium to my 40.

You don't have to do this of course.

I just purchased the AC70 from Amazon. The price was very good. Thank you all for your help on this and I'm sure my fish will be much happier.

Another question, what type of plants are good for a beginner like me? I think I will start off with potted plants.

Thanks Again. E

I'm afraid the AC70 might be a little too much for a 20. You can't over filter, but you can over current. You might need to acquire some rheophilic fish! Seriously, though, I would think twice about putting anything with long flowing fins in this tank, or any fish that likes calm waters.

The Aquaclear filters are great. You can't go wrong with it.

David

I'm afraid the AC70 might be a little too much for a 20. You can't over filter, but you can over current. You might need to acquire some rheophilic fish! Seriously, though, I would think twice about putting anything with long flowing fins in this tank, or any fish that likes calm waters.

The Aquaclear filters are great. You can't go wrong with it.

David

exactly right..IMO the AC 70 is overkill for a 20 gallon tank. I own an AC 70 and it puts out quite a bit of current. I also own the fluval c4

the fluval C3 or C4 are newer version's of the aquaclears. It is really a matter of choice, they both are really good filters. The fluval C series has a "wet/dry" built into the filter.

the aquaclear's have a little more room for customization.

Thanks for the advice. I actually checked on the flow and the AC70 can be adjusted so the flow rate range is 100 to 300 g/h. I was thinking that I would adjust it to 200 g/h, which is equivalent to the C3. I can see if my fish can handle the extra current.

My fish:
3 Platies
1 Dwarf Gourami
4 Cories
2 Oto's

Still want:
6 to 8 Cardinal Tetras

E

The AC50, I'm getting an AC70 for my 45 soon. I just like the different thing you can do with different filter medias.

P.S. IMO, the cardinals are to big and active for a 20 gallon tank, but you might be able to get away with'em.

Back
Top Bottom