HOB filter death?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camescu

Aquarium Advice Freak
A dumb act followed by a technical question.

Last night I was removing a some fine gravel from my edge. Quite a lot as it happens. Anyway in my dumbness I still had the filter running. The opening on the edge not being the widest, I managed to introduce a bet full of gravel to the filter. A grinding noise quickly followed, and then there was silence.

So, have I killed the motor or just the impeller?

I'm not going to be able to get round to sorting it for a few days so I'm kinda preparing myself for when I get into it. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice assuming the app didn't crash.

you might just have gravel in the impeller and if you take the impeller out and clean it , it might work fine , or you may be able to replace an impeller if it is shot
I started keeping a foam pre filter on the intake of my filter it stops gravel and catches the bigger crap keeping my filter media clean longer

Cheers, Micey. I'll give it a good clean before running off the LFS. Hope that is all it is.

There is a prefilter as well, albeit floating around the empty tank. I was just being so haphazard and lazy. Deserve what I get really.

Still can't decide what to do with the tank. ATM it's between a Taiwanese river bed biotope for some RCS, or maybe venture to the salty side and do a nano reef for inverts.

Cheers, Micey. I'll give it a good clean before running off the LFS. Hope that is all it is.

There is a prefilter as well, albeit floating around the empty tank. I was just being so haphazard and lazy. Deserve what I get really.

Still can't decide what to do with the tank. ATM it's between a Taiwanese river bed biotope for some RCS, or maybe venture to the salty side and do a nano reef for inverts.

:ROFLMAO: I love my tank, hope your impeller cleans up. I would love to follow on what you do with yours. Please post a link to your new build thread.

The filter can sometimes stall. Mine did just the last clean out. Absolutely no response after plugging back in maybe tried 6-8 times, plugging in and out, even with the filter full of water. So took it back out hooked it up to a square container filled with treated water and tried again and it sputtered and then worked like a dream.

Good luck.

Cheers. I'll be sure to start a build thread as soon as I know what in doing.

Back
Top Bottom