HOB filter media ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ceramic bio balls, polyfill, and your basic sponge are all things commonly used. Some people also like Purigen as a water clarifier.

I used sponges from the dollar store and they deteriorated. They fell apart into little pieces.

I am going to first point out that you shouldn't be changing filter cartridges until they are literally disintegrating / falling apart. This will usually be 6 - 12 months before changing.

Filter medias:
Pumice
Lava Rock
Plastic pot scrubbers
Ceramic Rings
Bio Balls
Cut to size filter pads
Many many other things

I am going to first point out that you shouldn't be changing filter cartridges until they are literally disintegrating / falling apart. This will usually be 6 - 12 months before changing.

Filter medias:

Pumice

Lava Rock

Plastic pot scrubbers

Ceramic Rings

Bio Balls

Cut to size filter pads

Many many other things

I don't change my filter pads. When they get covered in gunk I just swish it around in after water change water. I have two new filters and don't really want to buy cartridges anymore. Would I just put the media where the cartridge goes ?

Filter Media

Here's a pic of what I use. It comes in about a 30" by 24" block. It's about$8 at Petsmart. You cut out to match your pad and you can swish clean and reuse many times. It actually gets more efficient after each wash out. Hope this helps, OS.

Attachments

• DSCF1054.jpg
    DSCF1054.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 55
Here's a pic of what I use. It comes in about a 30" by 24" block. It's about$8 at Petsmart. You cut out to match your pad and you can swish clean and reuse many times. It actually gets more efficient after each wash out. Hope this helps, OS.

Thank you. I might try that.

I don't change my filter pads. When they get covered in gunk I just swish it around in after water change water. I have two new filters and don't really want to buy cartridges anymore. Would I just put the media where the cartridge goes ?

Yep. With some you can just throw it in a filter media bag. Otherwise you can just cram it in.

Bio balls are the way to go. Also a sponge layer and then a bio ball layer would be ideal.

I have a HOB filter and I just bought some black filter sponge and put it in my filter while also using filter cartridges, and it works really well. My BB is super stable.

Back
Top Bottom