HOB filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joetoyc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if anyone else has had loudness issues with HOB filters. In my 30 gallon FW I've been using a Penguin Bio Wheel 200 for about 3 months and the noise of the motor has become ungodly loud. I happened to have a spare Whisper 40 HOB filter that I've switched to, but it is too makes horrific grinding and screeching noises. I have a feeling that sand is getting between the walls of the magnetics and causing friction- the magnet on the impeller shaft of my Penguin has scaring, but I'm surprised these aren't designed to avoid such things.

I have not had any problems in my 10g with a cheapo Walmart filter. I have playsand in it. I would recommend a prefilter for your filter. Also, shut your filter off when doing water changes and wait for it to settle before turning the filter back on.

Probably sand. This happens in my tanks as well as my fish really stir up the sand.

Take the filter apart, grab a qtip and clean out the motor. This should resolve most of it but more than likely it will not be whisper quiet. Just do this periodically or you will need to buy a new impeller.

Back
Top Bottom