HOB filters vs canister filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I own a 55 gallon column style tank and have a Aqueon Quietflow 55/75 (400gph) filter. I have always used HOB filters. Is a canister filter really better or is it up to personal preference?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a canister filter but when I was younger we had a job on the family aquarium. Canister filters are quieter in general and the tank can sit flush with the wall. Plus they are more expensive

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was running a Fluval C4 HOB only on my 45 gallon tank until a couple weeks ago. It was doing ok, but still left some room for improvement, so I picked up a Sunsun 302 to supplement it and I'm really glad I did. It is definitely quieter, and I also really like the spray bar. In terms of just water quality, the HOB was doing just fine, but after putting on another filter the tank just seems a lot cleaner. So I guess what I would say is "why not both?"

It all comes down to personal preference. I personally prefer HOB filters because they aren't a chore to clean. In terms of water quality, they both function the same.

The primary difference is that canisters offer more customization opportunities in your media making it easier to polish your water with pads and floss.

I agree due to the fact it is a tall tank and the convenience level considering I'm 5 foot tall. But what about the carbon in the filters I've always questioned what's the purpose really? If I have to medicate the tank it has to be removed which is a pain. I feel like it's a waste of money.

I agree due to the fact it is a tall tank and the convenience level considering I'm 5 foot tall. But what about the carbon in the filters I've always questioned what's the purpose really? If I have to medicate the tank it has to be removed which is a pain. I feel like it's a waste of money.

It is a waste of money tbh :)

Most aquarists only use carbon to remove any chemicals that might be in the tank.

I agree that carbon can remove chemicals especially after a med treatment. Also it makes your water pretty darn clear. But what I'm trying to say if you have a healthy tank and take proper precautions then do you really need carbon in your filters.

I agree that carbon can remove chemicals especially after a med treatment. Also it makes your water pretty darn clear. But what I'm trying to say if you have a healthy tank and take proper precautions then do you really need carbon in your filters.

Nope, you don't need it. Like I said, it's really only used to remove chemicals such as medications.

Sorry just wanted to clarify. What kind of HOB filter do you have?

Sorry just wanted to clarify. What kind of HOB filter do you have?

I have a bunch of different ones, but they are mostly a variety of marineland filters at the moment. If I had to choose from any brands out there I would probably go with an Aquaclear

I appreciate your opinion I just needed to ask these questions because us geeky fish people are few and far between. Lol.

I appreciate your opinion I just needed to ask these questions because us geeky fish people are few and far between. Lol.

I know the feeling :D

I entered the hobby with a very close friend of mine, then she moved 3 hours away and left me here all alone without anyone to talk fish with :nono:

To Stacey W.

Hi Stacey W.:

For a 55 gallon moderately stocked freshwater tank you probably don't need a canister filter; your HOB is fine. I use an Aquaclear HOB with a sponge pre-filter in my 55 gal and have never had any problems. I like it because the media chamber is very large, which makes maintenance pretty easy. I can also use my own media instead of those cartridges, which I really like.

-Yorg

I own a 55 gallon column style tank and have a Aqueon Quietflow 55/75 (400gph) filter. I have always used HOB filters. Is a canister filter really better or is it up to personal preference?

I was running a Fluval C4 HOB only on my 45 gallon tank until a couple weeks ago. It was doing ok, but still left some room for improvement, so I picked up a Sunsun 302 to supplement it and I'm really glad I did. It is definitely quieter, and I also really like the spray bar. In terms of just water quality, the HOB was doing just fine, but after putting on another filter the tank just seems a lot cleaner. So I guess what I would say is "why not both?"
Agree. OP has a 55 gallon and IMHO anything over 38 gallons needs either two filters to avoid dead spots or a canister where the intake and outflow can be placed some distance apart.

I have a C4 on my 29 gallon which keeps water crystal clear and polished. [I use cut to fit aquatic life 50 micron polishing pads that are only 1/12" thick. When placed after the factory pad, the "gunk" they pick up is amazing]. On my 38 gallon I have two C3's (custom media) plus an AC50 (packed with floss) to keep my water crystal clear and polished. For a 55 gallon tank, I'd recommend two C4's or a C4 and a canister.

I like using hob filters rather then canisters. Just easier to maintain for me. I know a lot of fish people like canister filters . But I think hob filters are good

Joefish...

I know that HOB's can do the job . Now I'm kicking myself for not going with a fluval. :(

I have two Marineland biowheel HOB on my 55 and it does the job just fine. I make sure to suck up waste on the bottom between water changes. To be fair, I've never used a canister filter either but I'll probably give it a go in my next big tank.

Forget the carbon

For the most part, carbon is useless in established tanks. Like many others on this forum, I use Seachem Purigen in lieu of carbon in my C4 & C3's. In addition to the biological benefits, it puts the "finishing touch" on the crystal clear and polished water. It lasts about 6 months (and can be rejuvinated) so it is also much cheaper than carbon which wears out in about a month). It costs about $8 on line. No matter where you look, user reviews are extremely high.

Paul1792 any ideas how can I rig my filters/media in my pump without purchasing a new one for now?

Back
Top Bottom