Homemade food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone make homemade food for their freshwater fish? How do you make it? I want to make a healthier diet for my freshwater fish instead of just flakes.

Two of my goldies get homemade gel food. If you have other types of fish, I dont see why this wouldnt for them as well. Theres a zillion recipes if you do some googling. Its basically protien, veggies & plain gelatin. Someone else posted about site that sells 'all natural' fish foods- its something im going to try as well.

Natural Tropical Fish Food - Fish Food Online Store

I made some food that was supposed to be for nerite snails--Ha! They never touch it, but my cory cats love it! The recipe started with a small jar of baby food (green peas or green beans), and to that I added one packet of unflavored gelatin. I mixed the two together in a small bowl, and then microwaved it for one minute. After that, I added other kinds of fish food (thawed bloodworms, brine shrimp, flake food--whatever was on hand). I also added some thawed, chopped-up spinach (make sure it's salt-free) and some crushed up, cleaned egg shell (again, this was supposed to be for snails & I thought they'd like the calcium). Anyway, I poured it on a plate and put it in the refrigerator. After it set, I cut it into little cubes and froze them all in a ziplock bag.

To feed the cories, I drop a frozen piece into the tank (always in the same corner of the tank), and it immediately sinks to the bottom. I think the cories actually anticipate it; they congregate in that part of the tank when it's feeding time. they seem to love it.

Back
Top Bottom