Honey Gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diamonte

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is ready for some fish now! And I want to get a Red or Gold Honey Gourami. Its a 20 gallon tank with lots of hiding spots. Now all I need is some good tank mates.

Any advice is excepted......Or Personal Advice.......

In theory, honey gouramis will get along with pretty much any peaceful fish that isn't another anabantoid fish like a betta or paradisefish.

I personally have one that attacks anything larger than herself as well as other gouramis, but she gets along fine with absolutely everything else.

In theory, honey gouramis will get along with pretty much any peaceful fish that isn't another anabantoid fish like a betta or paradisefish.

I personally have one that attacks anything larger than herself as well as other gouramis, but she gets along fine with absolutely everything else.

Thanks!!!!! Do you have any suggestions for fish mates?

Gosh there are so many things you could put in there. A handful of male guppies would make a nice splash. Or a school of small tetras and some dwarf or panda corydoras. I have a 20 gallon with one honey gourami, 8 guppies, and 6 pygmy cories and another with 10 ember tetras and 10 kubotai rasboras which would all get along with your honey.

Neons tetras, black neons, harlequin rasboras. Celestial pearl danios. Platies or mollies. Anything of appropriate size and kept in an appropriate school size really is an option.

Gosh there are so many things you could put in there. A handful of male guppies would make a nice splash. Or a school of small tetras and some dwarf or panda corydoras. I have a 20 gallon with one honey gourami, 8 guppies, and 6 pygmy cories and another with 10 ember tetras and 10 kubotai rasboras which would all get along with your honey.

Neons tetras, black neons, harlequin rasboras. Celestial pearl danios. Platies or mollies. Anything of appropriate size and kept in an appropriate school size really is an option.

Thanks....Can I keep Shrimp with them?

If you have a lot of hiding places, I think then yes. I had cherry shrimp with mine, and the population kept up so if they were being eaten it wasn't very many of them. My sparkling gouramis eat shrimp like candy, but I never saw the honey eating them. That doesn't mean they won't eat them, but I do know it's do-able from my own experience.

Thanks ^^^

Do any one know if I can keep Angelfish with Honey Gourami's?

Do you know if you an keep Ghost Glass Catfish with them? I heard somewhere that you can. But you also need hiding spots.

Does Any One Know If I Can Keep Ghost Glass Catfish With a Honey Gourami?

Glass cats are very peaceful fish. they are also very timid and seem to do best in a decently sized group with a lot of cover. In theory, a honey should be fine with them.
One quirk about honey gouramis is that there are several species that go by the same common name. The dwarf gourami is Trichogaster lalius while the honey gourami is T. chuna. T. chuna is smaller and often more peaceful while individuals of T lalius can sometimes be overly feisty, though typically do fine without other territorial fish. Both species have their common names butchered into all kinds of forms combining the 2 which makes it rather confusing.
A few more suggestion about stocking that I have would be a school of some sort of tetra or rasbora that suits your fancy and perhaps a few mystery snails or nerite snails. I really like harlequin rasboras as a schoaling fish and they tend to stay a little higher in the tank than some other sorts do and they stay rather small.
Is it a 20g long, or 20g tall? The 20g tall may need to be stocked a bit more conservatively due to the limited available horizontal swimming space. but, you can still build a nice little community in one. :)

Its a 20 tall.....

20 Gallon Tall and Empty 10 gallon

My dead fish is really typing......

Back
Top Bottom