Honey gourami laying on top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexeir7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found my gourami floating on top of my tank, I tried to feed him but he isn't swimming very well (still has apetite because he look for the food).
Did a 50% pwc but it doesn't seem to be moving a lot.

Water parameters before pwc
8.4 ph
0.25 ammonia (my tank had been cycled for about 5 months and that ammonia spike seems weird)
0 nitrite
5 nitrates

Are there any other symptoms of him being sick besides his not swimming and eating? he could have an infection or disease of some kind. If he has something contagious make sure to isolate him from other fish.

Are there any other symptoms of him being sick besides his not swimming and eating? he could have an infection or disease of some kind. If he has something contagious make sure to isolate him from other fish.
He's the only one in a 10g tank with a ramshorn snail. He's just floating around with his mouth up, sometimes he swims down but is unable to stay at the middle of the tank

well, not sure what it is if there are no obvious physical signs like messed up fins or growths but your ph is high so maybe try to bring that down. most freshwater fish do well around a 7.0, gouramis are ok with a little lower than that but your ph is def. too high

has he been ok before with these water parameters?
He had been fine until now, I've tried lowering ph with driftwood and catappa leave with no success.
I've read that it's better to have an stable ph than swinging it.

You said before that he couldn't swim in the middle. Did he not want to or could he not balance to swim correctly? This could be a sign of something but based on what you said so far all I can tell is that there's something wrong but I don't know what. Here's a list of fish illnesses with symptoms: Chart on Fish Diseases, Symptoms and their Treatments
He can't balance himself correctly, he just floats around

The problem is that everything is closed now :(
b6cfce28755c01a66d7fdea3875c567e.jpg

He's swimming erratically now

does he poop? I looked it up and it could be something with the swim bladder or it could just be constipation and swimming this way due to discomfort

does he poop? I looked it up and it could be something with the swim bladder or it could just be constipation and swimming this way due to discomfort
Not stringy poo, or poo at all. Seems like bladder disease.
So I just stop feeding?
I hope he makes it for new years eve

I hope he makes it too. Everything I see seems to say to stop feeding for 2-3 days and if he doesn't get better try feeding peas.

How's your fishy doing?
My fish stopped moving at all at early morning.
I guess I'll stop having fish in this tank. Keeping maintenance of a 10 gallon is actually pretty hard because of how quickly swings in water change.
Gonna transform it into a cherry shrimp tank.

Happy new year to everyone

Back
Top Bottom