Honey Gourami tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azmodan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have two honey gourami's that I'll placing into a heavily planted 20 gallon tank. Any recommendations for peaceful tank mates?

edit: Perhaps a small school of black ruby barbs?

Furthermore, my concern with the honey gourami's is that they're very timid (but friendly and social) and not very fast moving, thus they seem to have trouble getting food when pitted against faster moving fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could do a school of corydoras catfish ( panda or Pygmy ) then a school of ember tetra

I was going to use gravel so I wanted to avoid cories, but thanks for the suggestions!

Gravel should be fine for cories. I tend to believe that the issues that people have with cories and barbel damage is a result of poor tank hygiene rather than substrate choice. I've known people to keep them in Eco-Complete or Flourite without issue, and I've known people with sand that did have issues.

aqua_chem said:
Gravel should be fine for cories. I tend to believe that the issues that people have with cories and barbel damage is a result of poor tank hygiene rather than substrate choice. I've known people to keep them in Eco-Complete or Flourite without issue, and I've known people with sand that did have issues.

I agree. I have 2 peppered cories with gravel and have no problems at all.

Yeah only sharp gravel is bad for cories. I have bronze cories with pea gravel right now.

Ahhhhh nice, cories would be great then! And sorry, I'm very unfamiliar with proper stocking so would two honey gouramis, six black ruby barbs, and 5-6 small cories be overstocking my 20 gallon? My filter is an Aqua Clear 50 gallon power filter and I'm very good with keeping up with necessary water changes, if that matters. Also, how about kuhli loaches? I understand they need to be in groups of 5-6 to feel more at ease in a tank but I've also read they can grow up to five inches long. Not recommended for a 20 gallon tank?

Thanks for all the input so far!

I am far from 100% sure but I think I may have two female honey gouramis. In any case I've never seen them fighting and they actually spend most of their time swimming around together.

Back
Top Bottom