Honey/Sparkling Gourami in my 15 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Albiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have asked this question before in a different thread, but nobody seemed to be answering so I gave it its own thread :)

Would it be possible to put a honey or a sparkling gourami in my 15 gallon tank? The current stocking is:

8 x Harlequin Rasbora :fish2:
6 x Panda Cory :fish2:
1 x Zebra Nerite Snail :fish2:
~30 x Red Cherry Shrimp :fish2:

Thanks in advance guys! (y)

I am not positive since I have never kept sparklers before, but I do know that male sparklers can be a little territorial with each other, so I would stick with just one since your tank isn't very big.

Right you are sir! (y)

I'll probably be picking up the fish next week so I'll look out for a Honey, and if not a Sparkling.

One more question. Are the Flame Red Honey's any more sensitive than the regular Honey's or is it literally just a colour variation?

Your tank seems a little small for that. I have learned that it is suggested to keep several females to one male if you can. In a tank that small, he would possible harass her too much and she could get stressed and sick.

I think that at less than 2 inches a pair would be fine, they are far more mellow than dwarfs are. I had them in a ten for a long time, and they were great little fish.

Are you sure? I don't want to end up with two fish ripping each other to shreds, lol. Is it easy to tell the genders apart? If I end up with two males or two females, will it matter much? Thanks, guys :)

You can always get a boy and see if he seems lonely and then add a girl later. They are mellow, and if they were the only fish in the tank, it would be ok, but I would be cautious if I were you because you have a fair amount of fish bio-load in there already. Limited space can change the tank dynamic. But its up to you. If you do get a pair, just be watch that your girl is doing ok and isn't getting too stressed.

Also would I be able to have some Endler's Livebearers? I used to have two male's in a 3 gallon and I loved them? I wouldn't want babies if I did get them so I would probably get males. If it's possible to add them, how many should I get?

Reminder of stock: 15 Gallon (UK) / 18 Gallon (US)

8 x Harlequin Rasbora
6 x Panda Cory
1-2 x Honey Gourami
30 x Red Cherry Shrimp
1 x Zebra Nerite Snail.

Thanks (y)

Back
Top Bottom