Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2014, 02:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Honeycomb/Oil Catfish Comes tomorrow!

My honeycomb/oil/driftwood catfish is coming tomorrow! I've read a lot about them and their needs, but I was wondering if anyone on here has had some experience with them. There isn't much info available on the internet other than their basic needs. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 02-12-2014, 04:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congrats! They're very hard to find... I have one currently in my 36 gallon bowfront tank, but I previously tried it in my 75 gallon planted community. I've yet to really figure out what makes them tick

I've had mine for the last 2 years now, but nothing I do seems to encourage it to come out of hiding... I only see it if I shine a flashlight into the log it's adopted, it just sits in the darkest, sheltered spot it can find and hangs out there without budging. I've tried keeping it in slower moving 80F water (in my 75 gallon planted community), I've tried 75F subdued actinic lighting with decent circulation in my 36 gallon GloTank, I've tried packing the tank with hidey holes, you name it. It just hangs out in its spot and doesn't budge. The only times it moves are when its hungry or startled, in which case it darts all over the tank swimming in a very bumbling fashion. I honestly thought it had died and been eaten for a while in my 75 gallon because it moved from its usual spot to a new one that was out of sight and then rediscovered it after several months of hiding when I was redoing my aquascape.

Hopefully you'll have better luck!

Old 02-12-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have 2. The only time i see them is during feeding. They come to the top and eat flakes rather than eating on the bottom which i found very unusual. Very neat fish though...they are so cute!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the advice. Ill let you know how it goes!
Old 02-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

So i put him in today! He immediately went into a hole in my driftwood. I cant see him I didnt even know that hole went that deep! Im hoping he comes out tonight so he can eat. He had a rough journey from cali to carolina. Got delayed an extra day because of the winter storms and somehow survived an extra day without the heater.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

They're pretty tough troopers! Good to hear that he made it. He should come out when he gets hungry, but as mentioned before they are VERY shy so it may be a while. Try feeding right before you turn off the lights for the best chance of him coming out to eat.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

So its been 2 days/nights and he has yet to come out of his hiding soot. I can't get him to come out to eat and I've tried bloodworms, flakes, and pellets. Should I be worried?
Old 02-16-2014, 12:42 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulka9 View Post
So i put him in today! He immediately went into a hole in my driftwood. I cant see him I didnt even know that hole went that deep! Im hoping he comes out tonight so he can eat. He had a rough journey from cali to carolina. Got delayed an extra day because of the winter storms and somehow survived an extra day without the heater.
Which Carolina are you in? I'm personally in South Carolina.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:43 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Charleston SC!
Old 02-16-2014, 01:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulka9 View Post
So its been 2 days/nights and he has yet to come out of his hiding soot. I can't get him to come out to eat and I've tried bloodworms, flakes, and pellets. Should I be worried?
Fish can go up to a month without eating, though I would start getting worried around the 1-2 week mark. Have you tried live? Live blackworms are very close to what their natural food is like and should activate it's hunting instincts. Also, if he misses out on the initial feeding they'll stay alive in the tank for a while, offering a food source for him to hunt after the lights go out and he feels more comfortable coming out to forage.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:38 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay Ill give that a shot thanks!

Tags
catfish, fish, oil

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com