Hood advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raignis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 29gal that I'm starting to buy equipment for and am trying to figure out lighting. The Marineland led hood I was planning on buying has had quite a lot of bad reviews for rusting within a couple months. Their led bar, however, has had much better reviews and I can get it for about the same price. Has anyone had experience with either of these? I've got a $50 budget.
If I go with the led bar, what else would I need to cover the tank in the case of jumping fish or my maniacal cat?

I've got a 29gal that I'm starting to buy equipment for and am trying to figure out lighting. The Marineland led hood I was planning on buying has had quite a lot of bad reviews for rusting within a couple months. Their led bar, however, has had much better reviews and I can get it for about the same price. Has anyone had experience with either of these? I've got a $50 budget.
If I go with the led bar, what else would I need to cover the tank in the case of jumping fish or my maniacal cat?

Theres a great DIY Mesh Tank Top on here that I will try to find...gimme a few minutes to find it...

Yup, a versa top or piece of glass cut to size (just glue/silicon a plastic handle onto it) might be the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using science

The mesh sounds like a good idea. It sound like making a window screen basically. The pump is a HOB so I'll just leave an opening for the intake and it can spill over/through the screen.

The mesh sounds like a good idea. It sound like making a window screen basically. The pump is a HOB so I'll just leave an opening for the intake and it can spill over/through the screen.
I would suggest leaving an opening for the water too, or you will wind up with slimmy green crap surrounded by hard water build up

I would suggest leaving an opening for the water too, or you will wind up with slimmy green crap surrounded by hard water build up

I agree. I was going to completley build the mesh top (hoping water wont slosh all over if the fish get wild) and then cut an inch or so out of the back do my filter, heater and cannister filter lines and all drop in from the back. I will post pictures and a DIY when I do it.

I have a 45 gal with a hood and flourescent light. I recently set up a 75 gal with a versa top and Marineland LED light strip. I can't believe the difference in lighting. I bought the versa top and LED from Drs Foster & Smith, online. I got both items on sale. The LED lights are so much nicer. I can have bright lights on or blue lights and I can watch the water shimmer.

I have a 45 gal with a hood and flourescent light. I recently set up a 75 gal with a versa top and Marineland LED light strip. I can't believe the difference in lighting. I bought the versa top and LED from Drs Foster & Smith, online. I got both items on sale. The LED lights are so much nicer. I can have bright lights on or blue lights and I can watch the water shimmer.

I just checked those items out and think that is a better looking deal. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom