Hood for a 20 Long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have searched and searched for a 30 inch long hood for a twenty long, but I have found none in my price range. I will pay up to 50$. Please help me find some. Thank you

Ok, now here's a question: which do you think is better?: a full hood with one CFL tube, or a single CFL strip? I am confused...

anything is possible. it really depends on your setup. do you have plants?

i normally like the full hood but that's just me.

anything is possible. it really depends on your setup. do you have plants?

i normally like the full hood but that's just me.
I don't even have the tank yet... lol. But I am planning to have plants in it.

ohh cool. well, if you'll ask me, I will recommend the full hood. but i also will give you this chart below that coleallensmom gave me, so you can determine what is the best light for you when it comes to planted tanks. hope it helps.

Attachments

• LightIntensitChart.jpg
    LightIntensitChart.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 516
I think it's entirely up to you. If you go with a strip light you'll need glass tops won't you? I have the full hood on my 29g but I can't grow plants so its just for show.

Ok I will get the full good because I don't want a glass top.

Well im not gonna plant it much at all... maybe just a few plants here and there, that's all.

If you're just looking for glass, you can easily find them for about $21-22 from either Petco or PetSmart. However, you would still need to purchase a light. I'm heading down as soon as my 3 year old gets up from her nap and grabbing a glass lid for the 20 Long I just purchased at the Petco sale. It is from a LFS and should be about $20 once tax is added in. Just a bonus that it's less expensive because I like supporting the LFS when I get a chance.

As for which light, I'm an LED convert and love the Marineland Double Bright if you are not going planted. Otherwise, the Reef Capable might do you better. I take the legs off of them and lay them right on the glass (LEDs don't really create any heat to speak of). It gets rid of the light reflection off the lid if you look down from the top.

Once you take the legs off, they are so slim it is almost like not even having a light fixture on top of the tank.

Nevermind, my mom wont let me get the tank. Darn, I was so close. We were even at the store, about to buy it, when she saw the tank, and said "I don't want a tank this big" and I was like "mom, its only twice as big as our ten gallon. Its not that bug at all." So it feels like the end of the world right now. ;'( all that research for nothing.

Back
Top Bottom