Hopefully Quick Algae ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crowsmuse

Aquarium Advice Regular
this plant is in my tank, it used to have long hair algae on it, but the amano shrimp got fat on it.
but what is this now growing on it?
I am tempted to yank the plant, as the shrimp wont eat whatever this is.

thanks much!!

Attachments

• 20130818_151256.jpg
    20130818_151256.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 67
Does not look like any algae I know. Algae is green, blue green [ cyanobacteria, actually], brown or sometimes red. Not white. Might be fungal. You could dip the plants, and put some baking soda in the dip water. I'd use a couple tablespoons to a quart of water. It often kills fungus. Maybe try a a cutting first, see what it does, before you yank it all out.

Nerite snails may help. I have seen them eat fungal growth on wood, so they might well eat this if you get one or two. Don't reproduce in fresh water, very nice snail to have, excellent clean up crew.

There appears to be a little bit of staghorn algae, the whitish gray strands. The other is a type of fungus. Fungus can appear from something as simple as food sitting too long in the tank. You have 2 choices, you can remove the plant, lay in on paper towels in a sink, pour Hydrogen Peroxide 3% over the plant, wrap it in the Peroxide soaked paper towels for 20 minutes, then replant in the tank. Don't rinse before planting. Otherwise throwing the plant away is the other option.

thank you.. too funny Rivercats.. I was actually gonna message you directly lol.
does this spread? I've been real careful about overfeeding in this tank too

I've never seen staghorn algae before, appreciate that ID.

But wouldn't a snail likely clean that up ? Would take longer than dipping, but they sure clean off the fungus that grows on driftwood, seem to enjoy it.

thank you.. too funny Rivercats.. I was actually gonna message you directly lol.
does this spread? I've been real careful about overfeeding in this tank too

It's very unusual in shape but there are so many different fungus it's hard to say. I'd try to treat it first. But if it won't go away and the fact the shrimp won't touch it I'd trash the plant so it can't spread.

The staghorn appears to be starting on the leaves at the top of the plant. The picture is on it's side so look at the left side. Those are thin grayish white threads that appear to be starting to branch. That is not the problem but Peroxide will kill that also.

Back
Top Bottom