horrible smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Taking the wheel off, rinsing in (hopefully treated water) and scubbing a bit down. That would pull it all off/kill it. A swish isn't as violent (for lack of a better word). But, does a swish really accomplish anything? I have never cleaned my wheels, so this is all speculative, of course.

i get what your saying in general if the filter is doing it's job the wheels fine as is dosnt need anything. as for the bacteria being pulled off lets say a filter catridge i dont think youd pull enough off for the tank to even notice these bacteria adhere to anything and everything in the tank so losing a few buy givin a good scrub in some treated water wouldn't have any noticeable affect IMO/E

Well after cleaning the filter last night it was kinda gross and yucky but it only helped because my water smells great. I'm so glad it went away! I didnt even bother with the fern. Thanks so much guys!

Sometimes when I get new plants they have brown goo near the roots and it stinks REALLY BAD. Sometimes it's rotting roots and sometimes it seems like algae or mold. I always rinse the roots and disinfect my plants before I put them in the tank. It kills snails, algae and bacteria. I use jungle's clear water, it's potassium permanganate. Here's a link on how to disinfect plants..
Jake’s Planted Aquarium Pages | Disinfecting Plants – Before or After

Back
Top Bottom