Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hospital/Fry Tank Sponge Filter

I want to mature a sponge filter so if i need to quickly set up a fry or a hospital tank i can. I have never used a sponge filter so i had a few questions.

Is maturing a sponge filter as easy as running it in my main tank for a while unit benificial bacteria builds up? If so on average how long would this take?

Once the benificial bacteria is on the sponge can i store the filter until its needed? If so best method of storage?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is as easy as running on a mature tank for a while. This would take around 4 weeks I would say 5 to be safe.

I already use the method you are going to use. It may not be aesthetically pleasing but I put the matured sponges at the bottom of the tank. The bacteria stays alive and the sponge can simply be taken out of the tank when needed. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 10-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

you need to keep the filter running in a tank with fish in it to keep the bacteria alive
I hook the sponge up as a pre filter o my canister intake hose
Old 10-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

This may be a stretch, but after the sponge is filled with beneficial bacteria. Can I put it in a container with tank water, and once a week during water changes, empty and fill the container?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofish View Post
This may be a stretch, but after the sponge is filled with beneficial bacteria. Can I put it in a container with tank water, and once a week during water changes, empty and fill the container?

No. Refer to post #3.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofish View Post
This will only work if you're dosing the container with pure ammonia daily so the bacteria has enough food to stay alive. "Feeding" it with tank water once a week is too infrequent and will cause the bacteria to starve and die off.

Tags
filter, fry, sponge, sponge filter, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com