Hot or cold??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Filbey

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it better for my fish to be warmer or cooler?? I'm within the parameters for my 4 cherry barbs but because my house has old storage heaters it's cooler at night and warmer in the day.

I've set my thermo to 25*c and it's 25 during the day but when I check in the morning it's dropped off to 24

Should I crank it up a little more so it's 26-25?? is this normal?? Shod I just get a new thermostat??

I'm not good with celcius, but if it's only dropping 1 degree overnight, I don't think you should be all that concerned. If it were 2+, I'd definitely advise you to change something, but as of now, I think you're in the clear.

It won't hurt them the way it is set up now and the best thing to do is to see what temp the other fish in your tank like if it's more then 25 raise it to 26 and if it is lower than 25 leave it where it is

Are you using an aquarium heater or just relying on the ambient temperature to maintain the tank? If you don't have a tank heater, get one. One degree isn't a big deal though.

It is normal for water to cool down at night - happens all over the world :)

I have a thermostat and my thermometer is on the opposite side of the tank currently as the house is hot it's reading 26*c but in the morning will drop to 25 even 24.5 but being new to this I wanted to check I'm within my safe parameters .

Temperature parameters are not a reading you need to be to worried about as long as they are within 2-3 degrees and you do not have big increases or decreases in a small time. The thing to remember is although you may have researched the natural temperature of your fish, in the wild the likelihood is your fish have been captivity bred which means temperature and water hardness are something fish are fairly tolerant to. Focus on nitrate this needs to stay low <25ppm always.It is always best to be safe though when starting out

Back
Top Bottom