How about jellyfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freefour

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone set up a tank for freshwater jellyfish? Just a thought . Akso what would you feed it ? Any ideas thought it would be cool

Jellyfish are not very easy to keep, as they go with currents and can easily be damaged by bumping into things. I think the only successful jellyfish tanks involve cylindrical tanks with circular flows.

There's a great site at jelliquarium.com that specializes in tanks just for jellyfish. It's a saltwater site though. It sells all sorts of tanks, food, livestock etc... that's all related to keeping jellyfish. As a general rule, they're an experts only animal.

ya, i was at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago a few years ago...they had a jellyfish tank, and the tour guy was goin on about how they need to have a circular tank (in captivity of couse) because they're very fragile, and if they hit anything...they'er pretty much goners i guess...the tank is circular so that the flow just carries them in circles, instead of blowing them straight at a wall...in the wild they just swarm out in the middle of open water, sometimes the swarms go on for miles and miles of jellyfish...kinda freaky actually...they have stuff like that on discovery channel a lot

and theres freshwater jellies?

Thanks ,I know I saw a piece on iether Discovery or National Geographic about a jelly that was about the size of your fingernail but one sting would kill you. It's down in Aulstralia . Thought it was pretty cool , not that I would want one of those but we have a lot in Lake Barkley and Kentucy Lake they was up on the beaches sometimes. Just a thought.

ya i think i saw that same show...they had some diver go in, and he got stung by a whole swarm of the little guys all at once.

sir_dudeguy said:
and theres freshwater jellies?

There are some species of freshwater jellies. I believe they tend to live in lakes by and large and tend to be localized and not all that common.

I think i saw that show on discovery channel as well. Seems like it was some sort of box jellyfish...Irukanji or something

Back
Top Bottom