how accurate is AqAdvisor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
The name of the thread says it all. I've heard people talking about them so i checked the website out today. According to them, i'm overstocking my planted tank. But i have not had problem with my fish for a very very long time. I've also noticed that the parameters it considers are: tank size, dimensions, filtration capability. All experienced hobbyists know that these are NOT the only parameters that are needed for a well balanced tank. For instance, it doesn't take decoration into consideration (whether it's lightly planted/heavily planted). Lighting can be an issue for sensitive fish. Substrate choices are another factor. I'm not saying they give bad advices, just simply that everyone should take the recommendations with a grain of salt, even those from the most experienced hobbyists, as each tank is unique in itself and the personality of each fish is anyone's guess

Anyone can chime in on this topic?

I think as said, it tries to bring you on a safer side. It's more of an estimation of what your tank can handle. I would just use it to confirm after you already did some research. None the less, I still think it's a great website.

its a GREAT starting point. For beginners it is good to stick with the stocking level that it says but once you're used to keeping fish then go ahead and overstock if you want. I wouldn't recommend going more than 150% overstocked according to that website though.

I agree with PPs, its a great starting point, especially for beginners....but I agree it doesn't take plants/decor/etc into consideration, so I always use it with a grain of salt.

Back
Top Bottom