How aggressive are gold barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey there! So I've got a 28 gal aquarium and I have 2 gold barbs that are starting to push 3" long. I went to my lfs today hoping to get some new fish since I recently had lost some of my older neons. While there I was looking at some new fish I could possibly get. When I mentioned to the employe that I had gold barbs he said that they could get very aggressive. I've been wondering what's happening with my tank because although my water params are fine, I seem to lose any new fish within a week. Could it be that the gold barbs are killing them? I really want to be able to get new fish so if that's the case I'm considering taking the gold barbs to my lfs. They said they'll give me store credit for them and I'd be able to get some more peaceful fish without two huge gold barbs threatening my other fish. When I first got the gold barbs from a different store, I was told they weren't that aggressive but I can't think of any other reason why all my new fish don't last very long.

Gold barbs are relatively peaceful barbs ( Puntius semifasciolatus). They do better in groups of 5+ though I only keep two as well ... Though you must have really good gold barbs, mine are at the 2inch mark.

Mine are enormous and FAT. They are about 3x the size of my 4 cherry barbs. They hog a lot of the food. I just don't understand if it isn't the barbs, why I keep losing new fish. I haven't yet bought fish from this new store although people on the regional forum tell me it's the best in the area. Maybe I was just buying from bad stores? But then why would the employee tell me they were so aggressive. He said some people keep them with oscars. I'm so confused, most sites I search for through google say they're very peaceful but then I've found other people complaining about them being aggressive on other forums. I hate the thought of getting rid of fish I've had for over a year! They're some of my favorites, being so large and active they've really become a centerpiece in my tank. I've never actually seen them being aggressive either.

Keep them with Oscars? Honestly ... sounds like he/she has NO clue what he/she is talking about. Which with some LFS employees is not surprising.

Barbs in general are pretty straight forward, it's not like they wait till the lights go out to start going on a terror rampage. If you're not seeing them bully fish during the daylight hours, they're not going to wait till you go to bed.

I've also read that some gold barbs do act a bit more aggressive than others, but I'd say it's the exception rather than the rule. Of course, at 3 inches ... maybe yours feel secure enough to act more aggressive? In my tank, if either of my gold barbs started to get bullish, I have a couple of TigerBarb and an RTS that'll quickly put the slap down on them

Thanks. Since I haven't actually seen them bullying any of the other fish I think I'm going to take a chance and get some new fish. Maybe this new store has some healthier stock.

Back
Top Bottom