Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2004, 12:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to DragonChild Send a message via Yahoo to DragonChild
How big do sharks get?

Okay, first and foremost, yes, I know, red-tailed sharks are NOT real sharks, they are a mutation of a carp, I know, I know, I know. But they are cool, and he is my favorite, so there!

Heh. Anyway. When I got him he was tiny, now is getting bigger...how big do these things get? I couldn't find any consistant information, so I figured I'd ask. Also, are they typically aggressive? He used to pick on my betta alot, wasn't sure if it was just aggressive or if it was because the betta was red (I used to have 2 sharks, the one I kept was being harrased by the other shark).

Anyway, any input is appriciated.

TIA.

"If you leap before you look, the game will be over before you have even begun to play" Shuten/Anubis

------------------------
40 gallon, freshwater, currently housing pleco, red tailed shark, 1 adult silver mickey mouse platy, 3 platy fry (unsure of colors right now), and 6 ghost shrimp.
Filter is an Aquaclear 200, azoo 6500 air pump, and Hagen heater.
DragonChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 12:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They usually grow to about 5 to 6 inches and yes as they get bigger they will become more aggressive. I guarantee once the shark feels big enough to take out that betta it will.
BTW sharks absolutely will not tolerate any other fish of their own species in the tank with them and IME will usually not tolerate anything that looks similar to it.

Old 07-11-2004, 01:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppab02
They usually grow to about 5 to 6 inches and yes as they get bigger they will become more aggressive. I guarantee once the shark feels big enough to take out that betta it will.
BTW sharks absolutely will not tolerate any other fish of their own species in the tank with them and IME will usually not tolerate anything that looks similar to it.
Yes, that is exactly what I was going to say!
Redtail sharks are schooling fish but only in groups of 4 or more, so don't bother keeping two or three because one of them will be "boss" and pick on the others like crazy.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mr Burns
so a half dozen is ok? will they bother SAEs?
Old 07-11-2004, 12:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would only keep one.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I only keep one in my tank - I don't have SAE but I have another kind of algae eater, otos. The redtail never bothered the otos at all...

As far as keeping a half-dozen, I saw a tank at my lfs that had 8 but they all had spots on the side like if they've been pickin on each other - I don't know, it may have been something else but I wouldn't risk.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Keep one. You could keep more, but it would take a HUGE tank. Definitely do not keep 2 or 3.

Most will stick to that 4 inch range, but with plenty of space, they will get closer to 6"

I've never read that they are a carp mutation, but just a member of that family.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
hmm. schooling fish. never heard that b4. yeah and SAE's are alot faster and more active then oto's so im sure that'll be okay. anyway you could test it out and keep like 4 and if they fight keep your favorite and take the rest back.

anyway scott. what city do you live in. i live in roscoe, IL
Old 07-12-2004, 09:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Don't mix redtail sharks with SAEs. The RTS will pester the SAEs non-stop and will eventually be bigger than the SAEs. The SAEs will then hide wherever they can and when they come out for some food the RTS will pounce on em.

I speak from experience.

Tags
sharks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com