How big do sharks get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonChild

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, first and foremost, yes, I know, red-tailed sharks are NOT real sharks, they are a mutation of a carp, I know, I know, I know. But they are cool, and he is my favorite, so there!

Heh. Anyway. When I got him he was tiny, now is getting bigger...how big do these things get? I couldn't find any consistant information, so I figured I'd ask. Also, are they typically aggressive? He used to pick on my betta alot, wasn't sure if it was just aggressive or if it was because the betta was red (I used to have 2 sharks, the one I kept was being harrased by the other shark).

Anyway, any input is appriciated.

TIA.

They usually grow to about 5 to 6 inches and yes as they get bigger they will become more aggressive. I guarantee once the shark feels big enough to take out that betta it will.
BTW sharks absolutely will not tolerate any other fish of their own species in the tank with them and IME will usually not tolerate anything that looks similar to it.

poppab02 said:
They usually grow to about 5 to 6 inches and yes as they get bigger they will become more aggressive. I guarantee once the shark feels big enough to take out that betta it will.
BTW sharks absolutely will not tolerate any other fish of their own species in the tank with them and IME will usually not tolerate anything that looks similar to it.

Yes, that is exactly what I was going to say!
Redtail sharks are schooling fish but only in groups of 4 or more, so don't bother keeping two or three because one of them will be "boss" and pick on the others like crazy.

I only keep one in my tank - I don't have SAE but I have another kind of algae eater, otos. The redtail never bothered the otos at all...

As far as keeping a half-dozen, I saw a tank at my lfs that had 8 but they all had spots on the side like if they've been pickin on each other - I don't know, it may have been something else but I wouldn't risk.

Keep one. You could keep more, but it would take a HUGE tank. Definitely do not keep 2 or 3.

Most will stick to that 4 inch range, but with plenty of space, they will get closer to 6"

I've never read that they are a carp mutation, but just a member of that family.

hmm. schooling fish. never heard that b4. yeah and SAE's are alot faster and more active then oto's so im sure that'll be okay. anyway you could test it out and keep like 4 and if they fight keep your favorite and take the rest back.

anyway scott. what city do you live in. i live in roscoe, IL

Don't mix redtail sharks with SAEs. The RTS will pester the SAEs non-stop and will eventually be bigger than the SAEs. The SAEs will then hide wherever they can and when they come out for some food the RTS will pounce on em.

I speak from experience.

Back
Top Bottom